Pipes

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Noodle

Re: Pipes

Post by Noodle »

Well you can add another one to the list of pipe smokers
Mine are only cheap briars though as i have dropped a couple now, currently im on a simple cool & smooth one that cost about 12 pounds, as for tobacco i put kendal black twist in it now as i like process of cutting and rubbing( that admittedly sounds rather perverse)

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Its often been said that the smell of tobacco on bait puts fish off but I'm not so sure. Saw a programm where Jack Hargreaves caught roach from a pond, one after the other, whilst puffing away merrily.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Here is a must have accessory for all you pipe smokers

There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

JimmyBobkin wrote:Its often been said that the smell of tobacco on bait puts fish off but I'm not so sure. Saw a programm where Jack Hargreaves caught roach from a pond, one after the other, whilst puffing away merrily.
I also am not sure that it puts the fish off.
When my Grandfather used to take me fishing he would puff away all day on his pipe and he caught plenty of fish.
If I remember correctly his favourite brand was " Skipper " from a green tin,I wonder if its still available nowdays.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I was told years ago, by my Grandfather, a game fisherman (as if that makes any difference) that it was the nicotine/chemical residue etc. from cigarettes/cigars on the fingers that disturbs or puts the fish off, and not so much a problem when smoking a pipe....

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

On the subject of the pipes themselves, I've been working through a lot of estates over the past year. I've tried out some of the classics like Savinelli, GBD, Barling, Falcon, Peterson, etc. The best of the bunch has been one I found at the local vintage market, an unsmoked Blakemar Litchbruyere. Turns out Blakemar Briars are one of the last remaining British makers of 'traditional' handmade pipes, run from a workshop in rural Northamptonshire. Very reasonable prices and a good reputation too, so well worth plugging here

http://www.blakemar.co.uk/

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

:Hat: Just been taking a look at the link JC Might well get me a pipe and some baccy in the near future.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Wandler

Post by Wandler »

Ok.. so this is what you do... you get a highly carcinogenic, toxic weed which is full of an incredibly addictive substance then you cure it for ages so that it is half rancid then you pack it in to a wooden tube. Then you set fire to the stuff in the wooden tube and inhale the fumes which it produces into your lungs. At first it makes you cough and wheeze and go green but if you persevere for long enough you get so used to it that you can inhale the smoke for longer and longer and your lungs start to lose their capacity to stretch and transfer oxygen to your blood so you feel light-headed.

Sounds like a winner to me... and it is so traditional!

(PS I used to smoke a pipe and enjoy it until I visited a friend in a sanatorium 40 years ago. I was sitting on a bench in the sunlight with my mate and his doctor when I saw a man who was about 6'6" tall 'walking' along the path while being supported by two male nurses. The patient must have weighed all of 7 stones and he was a curious mahogany colour. I turned to my mate's doctor then pointed at the man and asked "What's wrong with him?" The doctor said "He smokes." That was the day I stopped smoking.)

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Love a good pipe. I have a couple of church wardens and there's a good tobacconists in Durham. It's very rare I smoke one these days. Mainly on special occasions, but I've been leaning towards a good cigar the last couple of years. American black cherry smells nice but I find the taste a bit harsh, now old holburn, that's a pipe baccy...
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Old Holburn, used to smoke that in roll ups, smoke golden virginia now. just thought it would make a nice change to have a pipe and a fill of baccy now and again.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”