River Roding

This forum belongs to the River Roding.
GazTheAngler

Re: River Roding

Post by GazTheAngler »

Hi Andy,

I had a feeling it was you from Essex Fishing, your the BDAC balliff arn't you?

I've posted on Essex fishing a few times about Brewery Ponds and the Epping Ponds. I used to fish at Arnolds years ago.

River looked nice a Passingford when I wen't over the Bridge last week.

Gaz

Andrew Banham

Post by Andrew Banham »

hi all
thanks for the warm greetings and i did smile when i saw your username barry(k). 2 of us went to passingford for an evening session yesterday i had 4 perch to 7ozs which were only slightly bigger than my lobworms that was about 100 yrds from the bridge. my friend was about 40 yrds from passingford bridge and he faired better with 3 perch and 2 eels 1 just under 2lbs. he also lost a fish which snapped his 6lb hooklength before his drag kicked in. the 1st time in about 20 years we have minnows back at passingford bridge probably washed down with all the recent flooding.our stretch upstream is very shallow and floods quickly where passingford is the last part to get badly flooded due to the average depth of around 5-7ft. barry a couple of years ago the side sluice broke at passingford weir and the river dropped 3 ft but they fixed it in 10 days but the fishing was much better. i did ask the EA fisheries dept if they could lower the sluice 600mm which they thought was a good idea but was not accepted by the flood dept

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Steve,

Your on Essex fishing as well arn't you. I used to fish Arnold's in the very early 80's.

Mostof my time on the Roding was spent on the Wansted Park Stretch.

My Roding PB's are low (apart from one)

Chub 3lb 8oz
Perch 1lb 4oz
Dace 12oz

The dace was a cracker I caught quite a few that year (it think 91/92) all from about 4 to 10oz then they just seemed to disappear. The chub was the 2nd or 3rd biggest out of a shoal the used to hang out under a Horse chestnut tree on a bend. the tree is long gone now and so are the fish.

Gaz

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I've had several eels out of the Wanstead Park stretch, seen quite a few Carp included a big Koi, but never had one. Did see a chap land a 3lb Brownie from that stretch once though.

Gaz

Andrew Banham

Post by Andrew Banham »

my friend was there yesterday in a new swim at passingford 3 of us cleared on sunday. he had 14 perch from 1oz to 2lb, 2 roach one was about 12ozs, 2 eels a bootlace and one about 3lb and a small jack pike. we always fish into the evening leaving just before 10pm wnen the river is closed. i have nothing against anglers that like to make a day of it but even in the 9ft deep swims afer 6 pm is so much better. more work this weekend hope we dont drop the chainsaw in 8ft deep water again

Andrew Banham

Post by Andrew Banham »

there is lots of areas of free fishing on the roding for those willing to search. this areas EA enforcement officer likes lower queens rd stretch of the roding in buckhurst hill. Gaz has the barrage at barking made any difference by holding back the flow at barking when the tide is out to wanstead park stretch.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

andrew banham wrote:there is lots of areas of free fishing on the roding for those willing to search. this areas EA enforcement officer likes lower queens rd stretch of the roding in buckhurst hill. Gaz has the barrage at barking made any difference by holding back the flow at barking when the tide is out to wanstead park stretch.
Andrew can I ask you a question please.

If you go back on this thread a chap talks about a stretch behind football fields , that flows from under the Underground bridge at . Also the stretch on the other side of the river at the David Lloyd centre....

Is all this free fishing as far as you know. Just double checking.

This last section coming out of a wooded are along football park and then into fields looks idyllic...

What do ya Know?

Please

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Andy,

I've not fished the Wanstead park strech for a few years but the levels have seemed higher at the bridge in Ilford recently but that could be all this years rain.

Gaz

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

John,

As far as I know the River is all free fishing from Debden down.

I feel an autumn roveing session coming on, you up for it?

Gaz

Andrew Banham

Post by Andrew Banham »

john when the river goes under the underground bridge there is water works with no fishing then it becomes ray park with lots of playing fields. above david lloyd is roding nature reserve i think its all free fishing . Ray park had £200,000 spent on it with some going towards habitat improvements on the river including a back water to shelter fry in flood conditions. judging by my local stretch you wont get anywhere near the river at the moment from 6 ft stinging nettles

Return to “River Roding”