Those blasted un-hooking mats!

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Re: Those blasted un-hooking mats!

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

BigFish wrote:I use a priest then weigh them! It's more accurate that way, with my scales I can weigh the big ones to the nearest dram (or even gram, if you want to go metric).
Ivory I hope?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Of course!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

with so many waters wanting mats as a matter (sic) of course I think it's daft not to carry one..... I s'pose the hardcore carper in me has ingrained the use of a mat over the years and TBH I think that care of your quarry should be uppermost in our minds anyway.... a reasonable mat can be had for a tenner and is it really such a hassle to use one and protect your catch....?
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

One of the pits near me insist on a mat and some of the fish antiseptic that's available. Its becoming harder and harder to be a traditionalist. I appreciate that it's for the benefit of the fish and to protect an investment but my waistcoat only has so many pockets! :Sarcasm:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Prince, I don't go to fisheries with silly rules. If I am going for a long session, say 3 hours, I take my unhooking mat along as it is really comfortable to sit on.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

To be honest Sofa' I don't go to the pit in question now, mainly because of those rules. I handle my captures with care and respect, that doesn't involve fidgeting around in my creel for a bottle of antiseptic whilst my catch flounders and gasps on the bank.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Prince,

Good, I totally agree. Fisheries with silly rules will eventually go out of business, the fisheries that are managed sensibly will flourish, that is how it should be.

I always fish with barbless hooks and unless the fish is truly exceptional, I usually unhook it without lifting the net out of the water. Quite often the hook drops out. I have a quick look at the fish and dip the draw string under the surface so it can swim out.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

All the Clubs/Societies I belong to insist on an unhooking mat for 'large species of fish' - barbel, carp, catfish & pike. I have 3 a huge 6ft+ one with appropriate sling for cats. Another for carp/pike. Both having a cover to try and prevent fish being harmed. Finally a very lightweight one which is for barbel/chub and stalking.

The catfish one is also for snoozing on while the barbel one can be used as a seating mat!

I notice the use of barbless hooks being mentioned. They can do more damage than a barbed hook - but that's another thread! Should someone want to start one?

Bluedun

Post by Bluedun »

JAA wrote:
Olly wrote:
I notice the use of barbless hooks being mentioned. They can do more damage than a barbed hook - but that's another thread!
What evidence can you show us?
My finger. Ouch.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Amongst others I manged 2 lakes, both stocked at the same time from the same fish farm. One was to designed as a Match type fishery the other a Carp fishery. The Match lake - barbless hooks & the Carp lake barbed hooks.
The fish were to be grown on with the best size-wise/good looking to be transferred into the Syndicate type lakes.
When the fish were netted several seasons later for the above the Match type fish had suffered more mouth damage then the barbed hook fishery. Many possible reasons:- Matchmen play fish longer due to finer lines; carp anglers using heavier lines play fish harder. So they in theory could/should do more mouth damage. It was found however that the mouth damage was due to barbless hooks slipping/cutting and working around the hook-hold making it larger. Whilst the barbed hook stayed in place. Carp in the barbless fishery had horrendous cuts from the inside of the mouth to the lips where they had slipped.
This convinced the Company to ban barbless hooks unless they were size 16 or smaller.

Other fisheries believe that barbless does less damage.
Last edited by Olly on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”