Fibreglass Owners and Users.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
MGs
Pike

Re: Fibreglass Owners and Users.

Post by MGs »

Some of the completed work of the Bennetts rod. Thread should be here this week to completed the last 2 eyes

Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

ive just bought a davernport and fordham farstrike su carp rod from a gent on here as my back up when i do'nt want to risk the mk1v cane.

also i have a Abu newmark 5 that i have never used from years ago can't find much about them but what i did find states they were glass fibre but i swear this one is carbon it looks like carbon at the ferrule to me although it is rather a thick rod does anyone know much about them

regards

bjp

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

Bjp wrote:also i have a Abu newmark 5 that i have never used from years ago can't find much about them but what i did find states they were glass fibre but i swear this one is carbon it looks like carbon at the ferrule to me although it is rather a thick rod does anyone know much about them
i find the Newmark 5 in my (german) ABU catalogue from 1980:
Float/Leger, 390 cm, 3 parts, Aktion LT (light/tip), opt. bait: 10-30 g, opt. line: 0.12-0.18 mm, 12 rings, 380 g, 199.- DM

the weight corresponds to other abu glass rods in the range, the carbon rods they offer have half the weight (and almost 4 times the price: 749 DM = 325 lbs)
i just got a 13 ft abu carbon matchrod for 18 quid

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

mine says newmark 5 13ft/ 390 cms casting up to25g/0.88 ozs, made in scotland

regards

bjp

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I know with current interest rates- money in the bank is wasted- but has the world gone mad?

I was brought up on fibreglass rods and quite fancied a classic glass avon/light carp rod.

An EBAY search pulled up a few- and I could not believe the prices achieved! we are talking about rods that were at best a compromise and in reality nothing as effective as modern stuff, and they are selling at higher prices!

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

i know what you mean a davenport and fordham farstrike glass trotting rod has just gone for £171.00 happy days i have me dads hanging on the wall he will be suprised

regards

bjp

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

have just seen a Hardy RW avon go for £180- surely they have put the decimal point in the wrong place

should have ignored my pension advisor and bought fishing rods and classic motorcycles rather than investment funds!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote:have just seen a Hardy RW avon go for £180- surely they have put the decimal point in the wrong place

should have ignored my pension advisor and bought fishing rods and classic motorcycles rather than investment funds!

had an excellent suggestion (thanks) - am going to make my own- £75 to £100 saved to spend on something else and the pleasure of making the rod as well

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Just put a nice glass float rod on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190803623313? ... 1558.l2649 If a forum member want's it, I'll take it down, and won't be difficult to agree a deal with.
niceroach

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Bjp, I couldn't afford Davenport and Fordham when I was young, they are still too expensive !

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”