Homemade

Traditional landing nets large and small.
MGs
Pike

Re: Homemade

Post by MGs »

MK III also bites the dust. Working along the lines of Mark's spreader I had another go. However, not quite right

I am getting closer and making this has given me a couple more ideas. I am now more confident that it is possible.
Last edited by MGs on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Would you like the actual dimensions of mine MG's
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Mark, thanks for the offer, but I think I have it sorted. I now have the angles right for my 20/21 inch net. I just need to cut an aluminium strip to hold the arms. I may be back to you if this current model doesn't work

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

MGs wrote:Mark, thanks for the offer, but I think I have it sorted. I now have the angles right for my 20/21 inch net. I just need to cut an aluminium strip to hold the arms. I may be back to you if this current model doesn't work
No problem MGs
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Some more progress made.

I am now pretty happy with the spreader/arm anchor. The spreader is "wrapped in aluminium plate. One on the top with cut outs for the arms, the second shaped round the other 3 sides. They are held in place temporarily with a machine screw until I can get to my bolt supplier for a 3/8 BSF. When complete, it will be the 3/8 bolt which holds the two plates in place. I have done a bit more finishing on the aluminium since these images were taken. So they fit more neatly.

I have now tapered the arms. A bit more work required to get the taper even. I'm still not sure how much I can take these down by, without putting them under too much pressure. The tips are now down to about 5/16 and there is a flex of just over an inch from side to side and 1/2 inch up and down, over the length of the arm. Any advice on this would be welcome.

I will also have to think of a way of fixing the net, at the block end
That will leave some finishing to do. My plan, is to whip the arms to match the the handle, this will also allow me to whip on some form of fixing for the cord between the two arms. I am looking at the clips from a couple of swivels and two split rings. Then at least 4 coats of varnish.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Well, work has progressed

Here is the basic frame. whipped to match the handle. The cord is 60lb shock leader. This is attached to the arms by two spit rings. At the end of each arm there is a clip swivel bonded with epoxy resin then whipped in place. The arms are only loosely fitted here, hence the slack cord. The net is held to the spreader by an L shaped aluminium bracket, which will be held in place by the 3/8 BSF bolt (off to get this on Wednesday). It has a small hole drilled to hold a split ring holding the net under slight tension.

Here is the almost finished article (minus the bolt)

Given that I have never attempted anything like this before, I am not an engineer and it was made with just DIY tools I am relatively happy with the result.

I still have no idea how it will perform. I am not likely to be able to test it before the Itchen trip on 17th. So if it fails miserably, I may need some assistance if I catch anything requiring a net. :?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Looks great MGs. :thumb:
If your bolt just comes out of the spreader block and into the handle you may have to be careful when it is wet and holding a fish as it may put a lot of strain on the thread of the bolt.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

That looks very nice indeed MGs, well done. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Snape wrote:Looks great MGs. :thumb:
If your bolt just comes out of the spreader block and into the handle you may have to be careful when it is wet and holding a fish as it may put a lot of strain on the thread of the bolt.
Agreed. I am planning to use the longest thread I can get away with, so that the surface contact area is greater. I should be able to get the best part of 1" of thread inside the threaded part of the handle. This is far longer than any of the other nets I have had. This was always just an experiment to see if it could be done. I have already had a few disasters, so I am not assuming I am out of the woods yet.

I tend to only hold the handle to move the fish in to the bank and then lift using the net or frame. Fingers crossed

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Brilliant, it's been great watching this come together from start to finish. Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed. :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”