Speedia reels, want a shallower arbour ?

The Speedia Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Speedia reels, want a shallower arbour ?

Post by Nobby »

Even better Matt! Thank-you.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've had several PMs and e-mails requesting a wide-drum arbour set, but unless someone can measure the distance between spool back and front accurately with verniers I don't think we can ask Matt to make these and send them half way around the World on the off-chance that they might fit.

Could someone please measure their wide drum accurately and post the figure?

Ta muchly.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Gary Mills has my wide drum at the moment otherwise I would have measured it for you.

Come on you Wide Boys! :)

MacMan
Dace

Post by MacMan »

I have made a model of a wide drum arbour shallower, Nobby supplied me with two widths. So I made the bulk of the model 25mm and there is a 1.5mm thin addition. So when you get one, you need to sand it back to fit your particular wide drum reel, model can be seen here.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:279593

I will print the rest and post to Nobby, probably tomorrow.

Cheers

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Bravo Matt! I was surprised to learn the wide-drum model varied so much and nobody wants a too-narrow arbour that line might slip behind when playing a fish.....

Sanding a few thou off won't be a problem if one holds a sheet of fine sandpaper tightly against the top of the worktable and gently works the fitted-together arbours ( maybe using a bit of insulating tape to lock them together if needed) so that the leading edge doesn't dig in. Turning the work a little after a few strokes, turn again etc etc should do the trick for a perfect fit and I'd imagine there is a little give in the material? ...though I've yet to handle anything 'printed' in this way....

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Macman has posted the arbours! Yay!!!

I'll let you all know when they show up here in the UK and add a few images of the reel thing. :Thumb:

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Excellent news Nobby, I cant wait to see how these will improve what is already a superb reel, it feels like Christmas again. Many thanks to Matt for doing these, sir you are a true gent.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Can't wait! This might even convert me to Speedias.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

MacMan
Dace

Post by MacMan »

http://www.macman.id.au/images/stories/Speedia.jpg

Here is a picture of my Speedia with the plastic inserts. Please note at the bottom of the screen where the join should be located, this is so that the scalloped face lines up with the handle. Also notice that the rough side should be visible from the handle side. I couldn't be happier with how this turned out, looking forward to using it now.

Matt

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well, mes amis they have arrived!

So far I have requests for the following I believe:

Narrow Drum:

1 x Sean.M
1 x Garry Proctor
1 x Craycane
1 x Chevin
1 x Paddex
I x Nobby.

Wide Drum:

2 x Frenchman
1 x Luga00
1 x Thommo

If those members can PM with an address to post to I'll reply with my PayPal details.

The cost for a set is £5 in total, that's the set of two arbour spacers, the post from Aus, a padded envelope and UK post of £2.60 Small Parcel-Second Class.

If you don't do PayPal you could do it by a posted cheque, a Postal Order or internet banking.

Garry I can bring yours and Paddex, I already have your address. Frenchman, I shall get a quote to send over to you...I still have your Cierry address.

I have some spares if more are interested...remember the wide drum ones want flatting down to fit possibly, but Matt has cleverly made a thin lip that will come away easily to a sheet of sandpaper held down onto a table, so that you can get an exact fit.

I'll add some images later. They are perfect with little clips to hold the two parts together until you have some line on, allowing you to flick them apart with a a bit of soft wood through a spool hole for cleaning the reel in the future. By a coincidence, they are exactly the same outer diameter as my cork arbour, but of course, perfectly round, whereas two layers of 3mm cork sheeting is both a little hexagonal still and soft.

Lovely job, Matt and a lovely gesture too :Hat:

Bad focus, but you can see the two sizes, they weigh 13 and 21 grams respectively:

A close-up of the wide drum lip to be flatted-off as required..note the handle recess just forward of the barely visible joining ridge:

The joining ridges separated again for a better view of them .... once again note the recess for the handle retaining disc:

The sides with the lip and / or handle retaining disc recess must go against the outer spool, or the two sections cannot go fully home and clip to one another.
Last edited by Nobby on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Speedia Reels”