Sad news at Redmire.

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
J.T
Catfish

Re: Sad news at Redmire.

Post by J.T »

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to post Redmin and the very best of luck with all the work. :Hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

The good news that everybody wanted to hear. I'm sure you have set many minds at rest, Redmin. Thank you.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Thanks Redmin.

I have little to offer; I don't have an excavator, fishery management skills or much in the way of brute force. However, like everyone on the forum I am sure, what help I can give is yours with no expectation of anything in return. You just make the rallying call and I am sure we would come flocking.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Netting Redmire is a bit f a quandary. It is necessary to sort out the excess tiddlers but can remove the mystery of the place. That said, the 'monsters' have supposedly avoided the lure of the mesh for years. Either way, I'd love to be there when its done.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Dave Burr wrote:Netting Redmire is a bit f a quandary. It is necessary to sort out the excess tiddlers but can remove the mystery of the place. That said, the 'monsters' have supposedly avoided the lure of the mesh for years. Either way, I'd love to be there when its done.
Historically I understand that netting Redmire caused some consternation but I believe we are living in different times now. It seems, from what I read, that the threat to Redmire is almost existential (in terms of its whole watery soul) and as such it is good professional advice needed, with actions as a result, to re-set Redmire back onto the correct path. Whether that advice points to netting as part of the remedy would remain to be seen but if it is, I suspect there would be no dissenters in this day and age and no lack of willingness to assist FOC.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Phil, Redmin wrote "1. On ghosties: At the next close season we plan a major drain-down and comprehensive netting of the pool, hopefully with external professional involvement. In the meantime, a holding cage is in place at the dam for all carp (mirrors and commons) up to a weight of 10lbs."

I think its a done deal mate.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Dave Burr wrote:Phil, Redmin wrote "1. On ghosties: At the next close season we plan a major drain-down and comprehensive netting of the pool, hopefully with external professional involvement. In the meantime, a holding cage is in place at the dam for all carp (mirrors and commons) up to a weight of 10lbs."

I think its a done deal mate.
Ah, indeed!

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

With regard to concerns about netting Redmire, unless it is drained dry, Its highly unlikely the mystery of any remaining extremely large fish will be revealed.
Previous nettings at Redmire, and many, many other fisheries over the years , have failed to catch the largest fish that are known to be in there. A prime example of this is that a netting of Redmire in the late 70's failed to reveal anything over low 30 lbs - but the Bishop was caught soon after at 51 lb, and none of the other ' chess pieces ' turned up in the net either.
There has been a lot of discussion on forums in recent years regarding how the big fish avoid the nets, but one thing is certain, they seem to be as good at avoiding the net as they are at avoiding anglers hooks. :holmes:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Julian wrote:With regard to concerns about netting Redmire, unless it is drained dry, Its highly unlikely the mystery of any remaining extremely large fish will be revealed.
True but here's the rub.
"a major drain-down and comprehensive netting of the pool, hopefully with external professional involvement".
That’s what's been done before. Lower the level right down and net the pool with the help of Simon Scott and Sparsholt students.
Major drain down is not the same as emptying the pool completely removing all the fish and returning all gudgeon, eels and pure Redmire carp.
That is the only way to get rid of all the Ghosties.

Yes it means the mystery of what actually swims in Redmire is revealed but if it isn't done and one Ghost carp is left in there it will all be for naught and the Redmire Leney strain will be lost . :(
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

How did the ghost carp get in there in the first place?
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Redmire Pool”