Closed-Face Abu's

The ABU Reels forum.
BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: Closed-Face Abu's

Post by BeechmereLake »

Olly, I have seen a couple of 505's that have had the legs of the star drag reduced quite considerably to help with line catching round the drag wheel part itself, someone has removed the legs with a hack saw and filed the ends down to a smooth finish, changing the setting for the drag still worked, I guess if Abu had thought about this in the 1960's they could of used a nice finished aluminium wheel like Mitchell had on their Tournament casting reels to lock out the handle after a cast was made, infact it would be a good idea for an engineering minded person to press the collar out of the star drag and insert it to a man made wheel of the same thickness.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I had a 505 40 years ago; sold it about 30 years ago and I had sawn off the arms of the star wheel drag as well.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Small world, this reel I had could well of been yours :shocked:

"BB"

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

BeechmereLake wrote:Small world, this reel I had could well of been yours :shocked:
I vaguely remember selling it to someone from Swanage...

BBamboo

Post by BBamboo »

I really cannot understand anyone having problems playing a fish on the abu closed face reels vintage or modern. They are simplicity to use.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

BBamboo wrote:I really cannot understand anyone having problems playing a fish on the abu closed face reels vintage or modern. They are simplicity to use.
I totally agree, been using them for years and only last year took my 507 reels to a small pit to see if I could use them for bigger fish, the fish I caught were carp and tench with the carp ranging from 2lb to 9lb, the tench only went to 4lb, fished a small peacock waggler 6ft deep and had over 300lb of fish, for me it told me a lot more about the 507 being a big fish reel hence the reason I visited a rather too easy water to try them out with the complex's manager giving me permission to fish there, it is / was a stock pond once and the fish don't get fished for too much.
Have to say I could not fault the reel in anyway even using 4lb line straight off the spool.

"BB"

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

The problem with the 505/506 was that when stick float fishing with the line we used in those days - Bayer 1.7lb - was that after playing a fish the line tended to bed in due to the narrowness of the spools and the simple, unsophisticated line lay; that meant next run through was jerky when using light sticks. Not such a problem with floats taking heavier loads. I can remember landing salmon (more properly grilse) when using my 505 without recourse to the drag though I had taken out the anti-reverse.

BBamboo

Post by BBamboo »

Hi Daceace.

As you probably know if you feed the line of the way Ivan fished with the abu closed face reels there is never a problem with the line bedding in. in my opinion People make way to much of this small matter the added advantages of the closed face reel far out way this tiny problem.

CafeRacer
Dace

Post by CafeRacer »

BBamboo wrote:Hi Daceace.

As you probably know if you feed the line of the way Ivan fished with the abu closed face reels there is never a problem with the line bedding in. in my opinion People make way to much of this small matter the added advantages of the closed face reel far out way this tiny problem.
Im not sure.Ivan was immensely gifted and could trot effortlessly using a clapped out mooching winch. Ive 2 506s,a 1044,a Diplomat and a CTE DAM and the only thing that lets any of them down is line bedding in after a big fish or a bagging session where its stamp fish a go.I dont think closed face reels kept up with the times with their narrow spools,compare casting a small wag with any half decent open face reel with a closed face.If it wasnt for restrictive casting due to line bedding I would use a closed face for all my float work.Can you imagine if they introduced a conical and wide spool for far bank trotting and long range slider work.It wont happen unfortunately,they are relics....
"Crazy,toys in the attic I am crazy,truly gone fishing."

BBamboo

Post by BBamboo »

CafeRacer wrote:
BBamboo wrote:Hi Daceace.

Im not sure.Ivan was immensely gifted and could trot effortlessly using a clapped out mooching winch. Ive 2 506s,a 1044,a Diplomat and a CTE DAM and the only thing that lets any of them down is line bedding in after a big fish or a bagging session where its stamp fish a go.I dont think closed face reels kept up with the times with their narrow spools,compare casting a small wag with any half decent open face reel with a closed face.If it wasnt for restrictive casting due to line bedding I would use a closed face for all my float work.Can you imagine if they introduced a conical and wide spool for far bank trotting and long range slider work.It wont happen unfortunately,they are relics....
The new abu reels are still extremely popular on the (North east rivers match circuit) I would estimate 8 in 10 anglers using these reels when fishing the stick float. Abu advertised the 706 as its best selling reel for the last two years and" justifiably so" hardly a relic i think

Return to “ABU Reels”