The holy grail of rods!!

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Fredline
Tench

Re: The holy grail of rods!!

Post by Fredline »

I have reread the thread and cannot find one negative response. There was a totally justified initial scepticism due to a lack of information about what could have been angling gold, but negative? If anything people have been supportive.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I agree. The general attitude was of wanting to help, and that's what I've experienced in bucketfuls in the short time I've been in this forum.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

P Hardwick wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:26 am I went to see a man yesterday who is in Ashbourne Derbyshire who has all his life been committed to vintage fishing rods/reels etc. He bought the Fosters name out when they shut, he concludes it is a JB Walker kit rod, with 27" handle (so a carp rod). I took some stick on this thread (totally unjustified) as i told people what i had been told from the seller. Anyway matter closed in my eyes, i may pop in from time to time, however this forum (like many) seems to be if your face fits okay. Thanks for the mainly negative responses and bye.
The fact that you have met with (presumably) Stephen Woolley is a good thing, his opinion on your rod is as good as anyone's! your comment that "Matter closed in my eyes" should have been an end to the matter. Sadly you have made comments about taking "totally unjustified stick" and "this forum (like many) seems to be if your face fits ok" suggest that you have tried many other forums without success. Before you "pop in from time to time" perhaps you might reflect on why you feel justified in making your negative comments about this forum. Might YOUR attitude have contributed to your 'face not fitting' on other forums? I wish you good luck with your rod and hope that you eventually find a forum that suits your needs! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

The thing with vintage tackles and the MKIV’s in particular is that an exclamation such as the one in the original post is likely to transmit many signals over varying frequencies. In posting such a find this would naturally be the case, you are accessing many learned gentlemen well versed in the ways of a huge variety of vintage fishing tackles and naturally they were all ‘ears and eyes.’

The catalyst for doubt was there from the off with the idea that Walkers father built the cane! And so (and has happened before) the evidence required to substantiate didn’t arrive until the seed of doubt had grown exponentially, it is a truth that many have had their proverbial strings pulled a few times over and that a couple of the resulting comments were not as desired because of it, however
one cannot take umbrage at the generality of the human condition if it is not what we are expecting or indeed hoping for. This goes for the enquirer and the responder. There is no accounting for the inability in us all in not to consider reason and the frailties in its formation.

The findings that the TFF is like any other forum is far from the reality, and I hope there is a return to the TFF for P Hardwick because and as found clarity over many things concerning vintage tackles is important not just in its identity but to its historical consequence. Here on the TFF one will find this mine of information and from a group of very obliging and friendly souls.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Pallenpool wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:31 am The thing with vintage tackles and the MKIV’s in particular is that an exclamation such as the one in the original post is likely to transmit many signals over varying frequencies. In posting such a find this would naturally be the case, you are accessing many learned gentlemen well versed in the ways of a huge variety of vintage fishing tackles and naturally they were all ‘ears and eyes.’

The catalyst for doubt was there from the off with the idea that Walkers father built the cane! And so (and has happened before) the evidence required to substantiate didn’t arrive until the seed of doubt had grown exponentially, it is a truth that many have had their proverbial strings pulled a few times over and that a couple of the resulting comments were not as desired because of it, however
one cannot take umbrage at the generality of the human condition if it is not what we are expecting or indeed hoping for. This goes for the enquirer and the responder. There is no accounting for the inability in us all in not to consider reason and the frailties in its formation.

The findings that the TFF is like any other forum is far from the reality, and I hope there is a return to the TFF for P Hardwick because and as found clarity over many things concerning vintage tackles is important not just in its identity but to its historical consequence. Here on the TFF one will find this mine of information and from a group of very obliging and friendly souls.
Well said Peter, I am sure we can all agree on that.

Wal.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Pallenpool wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:31 am The thing with vintage tackles and the MKIV’s in particular is that an exclamation such as the one in the original post is likely to transmit many signals over varying frequencies. In posting such a find this would naturally be the case, you are accessing many learned gentlemen well versed in the ways of a huge variety of vintage fishing tackles and naturally they were all ‘ears and eyes.’

Wise words Pallenpool.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Well said Pallenpool and I trust that we can all accept that P.Hardwick was unfortunately mislead by others in such a way that genuinely brought him to posting on here what he thought was 'The Holy Grail of Rods'. I doubt there will be many even on here who have not been mislead at sometime or other in their past. I certainly know I have fallen into that trap on a fair few occasions.

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

I also hope that P.Hardwick stays with us.
We Traditional Fisherman must stick together.

With 500 members, there are bound to be differences of opinion and some members are, shall we say, a little more "Diplomatic" in their posts than others, but by and large, in my opinion, there are far more positives than negatives to be had on TFF.

The amount of Traditional fishing knowledge on here is astounding.

Stick with us and see how it goes.

You may be involved in some differences along the way, but stick to your beliefs and principles and you won't go far wrong.

All the best.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

The seller’s an amateur. Should’ve claimed the blank was supplied by Southwell.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Amateur or professional - we should all treat everyone here with respect and understanding.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”