Homemade

Traditional landing nets large and small.
MGs
Pike

Re: Homemade

Post by MGs »

Progress has been slow. Mainly due to having so much trouble getting the Lucky Strike finished. I have had a trial attempt at fitting the female ferrules into a block of marine ply. Worked ok for a first go, apart from getting the angle of spread slightly wrong. Leaving the net too narrow at the top by about 2 inches. At least the experiment showed that it is feasible to use this method. If I get some time over the weekend I will have another attempt and post some pictures.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I actually quite like a sagging front to the net and weight the net in the middle to make it sink down under the fish as I scoop it into the net. It happened the first time because of an error.....I forgot to shorten a bit of old hide that carried the net, but I found I liked it...once i made it sink with an old spiral spinning weight, that is.

Anyone spotted that old Hardy net head about to finish on eBay? Lovely pear-shaped bit of wood.

Most annoying that I can get any walking stick makers interested in bending a few up for us...there's clearly a market for a dozen or three!

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have a bit of a droop on the MK IV, but this try was just too narrow. I need to be able to get the odd fish in it now and again.

Saw the Hardy, nice bit of kit.

Still hankering after a bent wood one. I have some tall straight hazel in the garden which I may try and bend in the spring when it is more flexible.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well that net head went for £39 plus p&p!

The recent storms brought down a large branch of my curly willow and I was suprised to find how flexible the green wood was with the sap down. It wouldn't take much steam to get it into shape.

I shant give up on this, I want a pear shaped landing net and I won't pay £500 for one, not the £140 some went for recently......I couldn't afford it if I wanted to.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I agree, which is why I am carrying on with the homemade option. A lot of the posh nets cost more than my entire tackle collection. I'm not into collecting posh stuff, just fishing and having fun

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Nobby, PM for you...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Thanks Vole!

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Ok, here goes. I have spent a reasonable part of today in the garage working on some modifications.

Still some slimming down and shaping to do, but coming along

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That marine ply is going to look nice with a bit of oil and varnish on it, must be pretty light too?

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Not bad at the moment but I will have to skim some more off it to get it a bit lighter

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”