Closed-Face Abu's

The ABU Reels forum.
Chavender
Eel

Re: Closed-Face Abu's

Post by Chavender »

Firebird wrote:In that case perhaps there are good and bad CFs. Many do have bed-in problems though.
theres defiantly bad ones ,the shakespeare c/f's where terrible things only good as keepnet weights ,the diawa 120/125 are ok ,the ryobi's was good the crack 400 takes getting used too ,the dam quick (coffee grinder) a bit bulky and the 704's (early ones at least) had problems with its twin pin system ,the 1044 is too heavy ,the 507 goldmax is just too Fugly ,the D A M matchwinner 2 bit crap ,the abu 505 drag wheel awkward ,the abu 503 is ok ,the 501 good ,theres probably a couple more i've missed ,abu's 506/7 are the best because thay can be tweeked to give better performance.
Last edited by Chavender on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

BeechmereLake wrote:Do you use line treatment on your lines?

Since its been about I use Turbo Juice on all my lines, swear by the stuff, you cant even here it coming off of the spool and across the steel liner in the cowling :Thumb:

Mr sheen for my braid and floating lines & fairy liquid on my sinking (waggler) lines .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

CafeRacer
Dace

Post by CafeRacer »

I would consider Dave Harrell as one of the greatest ever river anglers,he dismissed all closed faces(including his treasured ABUs) as old hat in terms of outright performance.Lets be pragmatic here,we use them out of habit/sentimentality.
"Crazy,toys in the attic I am crazy,truly gone fishing."

BBamboo

Post by BBamboo »

Firebird wrote:The Shakespeare was poor - the line used to get trapped in the pickup pin. I have 501s and a 506. Both suffer line bedding.
Are you using match spools on the abu 500?
If your using the deep metal spools and filling them with 300yds of line you will have this problem your encountering.

BBamboo

Post by BBamboo »

CafeRacer wrote:I would consider Dave Harrell as one of the greatest ever river anglers,he dismissed all closed faces(including his treasured ABUs) as old hat in terms of outright performance.Lets be pragmatic here,we use them out of habit/sentimentality.
Match fishing has changed dramatically over the years Dave would be the first to admit this. Match anglers tend to use the most versatile kit (after all you don't see many top fight match anglers fishing with a centrepin) In a conversation I had with Dave last year we discuses the old abu reels, and he firmly believes there is still a place for these reels but in his own words the modern open face reel allows him to do all he needs to do. Again its his preference and versatility of the reels which persuaded the change .

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I remember Dave Harrell a river fishing hero of mine did something in the Angling Times around 2004 maybe 2005 about how he still uses the old ABU 507 but I guess as time moves on and closed face reels sat still the open faced reels carried on being up dated, Like Dave H I use the Daiwa TDR's and TDX's but just don't get the passion from using them.
Just on that note I wonder BBamboo if you talk with him again could you ask him how he may of got over line bedding, Im pretty sure he would of done something to get over it for being such a professional angler he would not of used an inferior item to fish with, especially a fishing reel.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

BBamboo

Post by BBamboo »

BeechmereLake wrote:I remember Dave Harrell a river fishing hero of mine did something in the Angling Times around 2004 maybe 2005 about how he still uses the old ABU 507 but I guess as time moves on and closed face reels sat still the open faced reels carried on being up dated, Like Dave H I use the Daiwa TDR's and TDX's but just don't get the passion from using them.
Just on that note I wonder BBamboo if you talk with him again could you ask him how he may of got over line bedding, Im pretty sure he would of done something to get over it for being such a professional angler he would not of used an inferior item to fish with, especially a fishing reel.

Hi Beechmere

You can email him on the website he is an ok guy very open and willing to help like all good match anglers

http://www.daveharrellangling.com/

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I used my 505 heavily from about 1973 to 77. This was mostly trotting for good-sized dace on a pacey river and big bags (30-40lbs) were usual in those days; I don't remember especially problems with bedding in but we used floats taking 3-6BB in the main at short range. Compared to the Mitchell Match (bought 76) it was slow on retrieve and I wore out the spool holder support shafts about every 2 years. When I started to do more waggler fishing from 77 onwards I switched more and more to the Match. At some time mid 70s I acquired my mate's 506 which I've still got and use very occasionally like the 40 year Stour celebration JohnL and I did last month. In a non-competitive scenario if you enjoy using them, like 'pins, then enjoy them but accept their limitations. I bought a Daiwa 120 in the mid 80s for fishing opens at Longleat where I always seemed to get a facing wind when fishing for small roach. Still got that reel which is fine.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I too have a couple of Daiwa 120M's and in all fairness think they are a slightly better reel, always seemed a lot smoother than the 506 to me, I do still use mine when fishing a loafer float on the Windrush river through the Winter.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

BBamboo

Post by BBamboo »

Firebird wrote:
BBamboo wrote:
Are you using match spools on the abu 500?
If your using the deep metal spools and filling them with 300yds of line you will have this problem your encountering.
Yes I do. Converted my 506 years ago. Still same problem, though whether it improved with the shallow spools I don't recall now. I do quite like the reels but only use them for light top and bottom float fishing. Never for anything else - long casts, bottom only, big fish.

If its the shallow spools don't over fill you need less than 70yds of standard 3lb line on the match spools.
Check the rim on the bell cover it should be very smooth with no marks, scratches or dings. Also it could be your rod guides are worn or you have to few line guides and the line is sticking to the blank when wet.

Return to “ABU Reels”