Speedia reels, want a shallower arbour ?

The Speedia Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Speedia reels, want a shallower arbour ?

Post by Nobby »

Ooo-er! Cork may not be quite the thing after all then...making Matt's effort all the more needed.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Yes, I have mine now also, (thanks Nobby and Matt).

I have to say this is an absolute marvel. I still can't get my head round the fact that this was actually printed. Bizarre!

If junction of the two halves as they clip together is strong enough to trap the line before spooling on then it deserves a design award.
Haven't tried it yet.
:Ok:

Frenchman

Post by Frenchman »

Thanks Nobby and Matt

My spools arrived yesterday and where installed, I too had to sand the wide drums extra lip back to almost nothing. Very clever desing Matt! Hopefully I'll give them a whirl this weekend or next week.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Christened one!
1-IMG_1567.JPG
A few small roach and this little Tinca tinker on the narrow drum, and the line all smooth and cornerless.
The float, however, needs a complete remodelling.

Many thanks, Matt, Nobby, and Richard!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

Nicely done Vole!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I have loads of spools for Mitchell 300 etc. The very deep spools are much too deep, they all need packing out with string and tape. There must be millions of these deep spools throughout the world. A small business opportunity perhaps ? :-)

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Yes, "MacMan" Matt needs to see an "Intellectual Property" lawyer. Preferably an angler, who realises that there's a continuum between "spreading the love, but missing out on a nice earner" and "pricing yourself off the market", and not press him too hard in the direction of the latter - but as a customer, I would say that, wouldn't I?.
As I understand it (duuh...), the real beauty of 3-D printing is that the designer can email his designs anywhere, so the customer merely needs to find his nearest 3-D printer owner... how far advanced the system of registering, licencing, and getting revenue from designs -and the printing is, I've no idea, but someone on planet "Gadget" must know!

As well as fixed-spool spools, there are hordes of over-deep centre-pins, as well as those that would be improved, like the Speedia, by a cylindrical , over-the-pillars jacket!

More power to Matt's elbow :cheers: !
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Matt did kindly attach the file to create these in one of his earlier posts. I couldn't open the file myself.....perhaps I need a driver? ...., but I don't know anyone who can do 3D printing either, so was only curious to view the file.

I can't help but think one for an Allcock's Aerial would only improve that reel.........there's a few of them about and Match Aerials too.....

The cork sheet approach works well enough on light lines and small fish but you feel for serious fishing you need something harder. Now Haydn Clarke, who doesn't post here much now, tried one in hard composite
sanding block cork....he's a furniture restorer, cabinet maker and carpenter..and he said it was a nightmare to make and 'never again!', so this just goes to show what a boon Matt's idea is.

Like so many ideas of genius it's really quite simply......one part, two of which interlock as you put them around a reel arbour.

As you know, Matt is a bit of a Grice and Young fan.....

I can see a certain little Gypsy geting a tight new skirt any day now....... :Chuckle:

MacMan
Dace

Post by MacMan »

I've been spending my time designing a plastic centrepin, starting with a bearing only model, later on a real pin. The challenge with cheap printers is that the abs is prone to heat, warping etc, not an issue for the arbour insert but a big deal with a reel back plate.

Anything serious has to be done with a sintering printer, these are more of a commercial printer. You have a box of "powder" and lasers melt the powder in the xyz axis. At the end you sieve the bits you want out. You can actually make a fully operational gearbox this way out of plastic. This is how you do anything that requires precision, and has the advantage of using many materials, plastic, gold steel etc.

Certainly a lot of scope for designing more arbours, I have started on generic g&y but its not as easy as it looks, the pillars are 6mm wide. The speedia pillars are very narrow which makes the task simple, well relatively. Anyway, good way to spend spare time, and good to help fellow fishermen always.

Matt

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Edit, crossed posts with Matt, but anyhoo:

There are so many reels out there which could be utterly Lazarus'd that it's heart-breaking - and surely the chap who had the bright idea of printing arbour-liners in froth-light, ox-strong "lego-foam" deserves a bob or two every time one of them gets the kiss-of-life?

Actually, now you mention G&Y, it's been a long time since my "Eagle" and "Avon Royal Supreme" have visited the waterside... nudge, hint, wink...

And even your (Nobby's) "Marvellus" might be made sort-of-useable again, if you haven't chucked it...

Return to “Speedia Reels”