Closed-Face Abu's

The ABU Reels forum.
BBamboo

Re: Closed-Face Abu's

Post by BBamboo »

The other reel which does not get much mention on and off the forums is the Mitchel Lightning CF
Hard to get hold of but also quite a good closed face reel with a 5 to 1 retrieve rate.

JimmyR
Perch

Post by JimmyR »

Simply put then, the looser the Clutch Knob, the faster the back wind, watch out for those knuckles guys.

Jim
The brotherhood of the angle.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

for the 506's can you get the spool with the soft furry/bristley lip to stop line feeding back behind the spool... a mate won one in the tackle aution t'other nite and it only came with a deep spool (no bristley rim)
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Bluelabel wrote:for the 506's can you get the spool with the soft furry/bristley lip to stop line feeding back behind the spool... a mate won one in the tackle aution t'other nite and it only came with a deep spool (no bristley rim)
The furry material you describe is called " Chennile " which looks similar to a pipe cleaner .. Difficult to obtain in the correct size these days .

Garry Mills is making spare spools for the 506 which do not need or have chennile . Well worth investing in a couple if you are going to be using them regularly .

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Is he on ebay, or have a website, or some contact details please....?

many thanks :Thumb:

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

Bluelabel wrote:for the 506's can you get the spool with the soft furry/bristley lip to stop line feeding back behind the spool... a mate won one in the tackle aution t'other nite and it only came with a deep spool (no bristley rim)
theres three standard spools for the 500 series

(left:bog standard pressed alloy spool ,fine line cast alloy shallow spool with chennile ,plastic shallow spool with chennile)

the plastic spools are quite common ,and the 706 & 506mk2 use the same ones ,the bog standard spools can be adapted easily enough either with a ring of felt glued under the bottom edge pretruding 1mm or strips of 12-15lbs heavy guage mono superglued into place around the underside of the spools rim every few mm apart .should prevent line going behind the spools .the bog standard spools can be improoved by drilling breather holes as a vaccuum can form under the spools pulling line down ,the alloy shallow (half depth) spools need to be drilled as well near the centre ,some of the plastic spools come with the breather holes .

if needed the " Chennile " you require is 2mm Chennile .easy enough to find on e-bay

I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

the spools he has are the ones on the far left of your pic... the std ally spools... I'll pass on the tips about the monofil stoppers/felt pads and drilling the spools... many thanks

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

most people just keep an eye out for the plastic spools as they're relativley cheap enough too buy of e-bay ,bespoke alloy spools are nice ,but too expensive ,often more than the cost of say a old 506 .the plastic spools are so much better than the bog standard pressed alloy spools ,even sorted ones.

another trick is too pad out the standard spool leaving around 5mm ,with backing (old line) then using arildite or tape cover it reducing the depth of the spool leaving enough room for light line ,using the two spool shuffle ,the backing being measured out by putting your chosen line on first (50-60m or full 100m) then the backing to just below the fill line (about 1mm short) ,onto a second/spare spool .then transfered onto the mainspool (now in reverse order) and when you get too the end of the backing cover with plumbers ptfe tape (it has no adhesive) or alternativly use arildite .then wind on your mainline ,remembering to wind it on under moderate pressure ,this helps too stop bedding in problems.or alternativly you could make a cork arbor filler strip .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

MHC

Re: Closed-Face Abu's 505 FREE

Post by MHC »

My 505 is looking for a new home. See 'for sale' section, I am willing to give mine away FREE for price of postage at cost (Toronto)

Return to “ABU Reels”