The one that landed Clarissa

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Hans Raaijmakers
Minnow

Re: The one That Landed Clarissa

Post by Hans Raaijmakers »

Hi JPC. So it would have been the left rod in the Chris Yates / Chris Ball picture a few post back? It just looks like the reels were swapped or something?

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Sorry CrayCane I didn't notice you had posted that which would have saved me covering the subject again.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Thanks for posting John. I think that many of us on here enjoy the history and it's good to hear from people in the know.

Pete

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Hi Hans, yes the rod Chris Y is holding looks like the one he caught the 51 on. Wouldn't know much about the reels, he had several Ambidex's, one he used on a six foot Hardy spinning/baitcaster another on a glass rod, a Peter Stone one and one on the James Avon. He also used a centre pin at times, can't remember what one, Strikeright maybe ?

Hans Raaijmakers
Minnow

Hi JPC. Ok. Thanks! Nice to have people in the know and share their knowledge indeed. :) Much appreciated.

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Thanks Hans and Pete. I don't think that the rod was made by B James rather than Walker detracts from the capture of that great fish. In fact it shows what an amazing little rod the James Avon was and remember this was the second time the big mirror had been beaten by a James Avon, re Eddie Price many years earlier. It also shows how skilful Chris was in playing out such a big fish on what was really chub tackle !

Hans Raaijmakers
Minnow

Hi JPC.

It doesn't. As an enthousiastic carp tackle collector I find it just interesting to know the specifics and learn as much as I can about it :) Maybe one day I should try landing such a big fish on one myself. They are certainly capable rods so it seems. Not sure if I am though :)

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

JPC – thank you for setting the record straight. Amusing to read how history has distorted the real truth.

So 'Barry' is presumably Barry A.

Is the rod still in the possession of John? I don't know Barry other than through a deal I did with him many years ago but I'm surprised he sold the rod, understanding him to have one of the best collections of historically important rods. Did Yates sell his early Barder rods?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Yes Beresford, Barry is Barry A. At present he is slowly selling off his rod/reel/ leather bound book collection. Amazing number of rare rods, mostly cane but some glass.
As far as I know John is still the owner of the Yates Avon, although I did hear he was thinking of selling it. If you are interested I could find out and pm you, it would be quite expensive !

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Yes again Beresford, Barry has several ex Yates Barder built rods, the last time I was at Barry's he did show me a few, I believe they were some used in A Passion for Angling.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”