How to correctly fish the lift method.

This forum is for discussing the Lift Method.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: How to correctly fish the lift method.

Post by Snape »

I generally go with this set up

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Snape wrote:I generally go with this set up

My problem with this picture, Sir, is that it seems to show the line from rod to float as loose. If that were the case the float would rise and lay flat on the surface (on still water), defeating the object of the exercise. There has to be a taught line between the rod and the float, but just enough to sink the float and not move the shot. The greater the angle of the line between the float and the shot, the greater the weight would have to be to stop the baited hook from dragging ... and we start to enter 'float ledgering' or 'laying on' rather than 'lift.'
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

I remember Fred J.Taylor's description of how to fish the lift method.
Nip a swan shot on the line about an inch from the hook.
Select a length of peacock quill that will support the shot.
Attach it bottom end only with a length of float rubber.
Initially fix the float a few inches above the shot, drop the tackle in the margins and note how much of the cocked float sticks up above the surface.
With scissors trim bits off the top of the float until it is level with the water surface.
Set the float to a little over the depth of swim, cast out, place the rod in a rest and slowly tighten up until the float is drawn down so only its tip is visible.
Keep your hand on the rod and strike when the float rises up.

I don't think the lift method was F.J.T's normal tench fishing method . He used it as a means of catching tench that were being finikey and sucking and blowing the bait rather than giving sailaway bites.

Alan

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

AshbyCut wrote:
Snape wrote:I generally go with this set up

My problem with this picture, Sir, is that it seems to show the line from rod to float as loose. If that were the case the float would rise and lay flat on the surface (on still water), defeating the object of the exercise. There has to be a taught line between the rod and the float, but just enough to sink the float and not move the shot. The greater the angle of the line between the float and the shot, the greater the weight would have to be to stop the baited hook from dragging ... and we start to enter 'float ledgering' or 'laying on' rather than 'lift.'
Very true AC. I think the picture has been doctored as the line is tight initially above the float then goes slack and the line looks a different colour. The picture has been altered for some reason.
So yes, I fish it like this but tighten up on the float.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Same as me Snape the key is to plumb the depth when the float tip is showing about an inch out of the water attach a weight, I use 1 leg shot about 3 inches from the hook and then move the float up the line by the same distance but you must wind down to set the float.
It works much better with a simple quill or light float not heavy Tench drifters I experimented a lot last spring and a friend is making me some floats based on my design I will try and find some pictures.
Bumble

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Bernard Venables description from 'Freshwater Fishing'

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I think that traditionally the way to fish the lift method was as Fred J Taylor describes - as he was always thought of as the pioneer in using the lift method to regularly catch large numbers of good tench in the 1950's at Wotton.

However there are variations on the method which work in the same way and are just as effective. Fred J Taylors method works best on smaller pools that are not too deep, but using a driftbeater type of float ( ie bodied waggler) also works extremely well on deep pits/pools/lakes when fished as a slider, where the shot close to the hook is likely to be a BB or AAA, with the rest of the shot several feet further up the line. I have caught many tench on this method in the 1980's

Whatever variation is used you do need the line to be tight between the rod tip and the float, and if using a slider the line also has to be sunk below the surface.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Bumbles lift float for next Spring.
Bumble

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

John Wilson's take on it...

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Now you see I always thought that you set the float to the correct depth with just a dimple showing and it didn't then matter if the line between float and rod tip were tight? As shown by Mr Wilson in Snapes image.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Return to “Lift Method”