Abu 505

The ABU Reels forum.
Fluffy
Stickleback

Abu 505

Post by Fluffy »

I'm trying to find out a little more about an Abu 505 that I've inherited. Already fished and christened it with a 4lb seatrout so it's now permenantly in the rotation.

Looking through various things online one thing is that it comes in green box, which is supposedly significant , but i can't find any further info on this.

Secondly as far as I can tell it is one of the early Svangsta models but I can't find a serial no anywhere .

Thirdly despite being the earlier model it has a black handle rather than black - do you think this was a replacement? Seems unlikely to be through abuse as the rest of the reel is pretty minty

It has an unusul, to me at least , drag where backwinding a bit slackens the drag slightly . Never come across anything of this design. Are there any tips for fishing with it, and calibrating it etc.?

Any light you could shed would be much appreciated - This type of reel isn't really my field but I must admit I do like it very much .

Cheers

Fluff.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: Abu 505

Post by BeechmereLake »

Hi Fluffy, would be nice to see a picture of your reel to work out just what it is, going by what you have said about it coming in a green box would date it from around 1967/68 but if it has no serial number then it may be an earlier reel.
Having no serial number doesn't necessarily mean its an early reel either as New Old Stock replacement side plates didn't have serial numbers stamped on them.
I helped write the ABU 505 Golden Jubilee Book so if you can give me as much info on your reel as possible I can help you work out what it is.
If you could answer some of these questions it would help
Does it have a box with it? If so what color
Does the side plate have a blue sticker on it reading ABU 505 or ABU 505 SVANGSTA
Is the paint finish crinkle texture (rough) or smooth paint finish
One thing I can tell you is in 1971 the handles went from red to black paint finish
Does the reels red cowling have a stainless steel insert

If we dont have pictures a little bit more info will go a long way.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Fluffy
Stickleback

Post by Fluffy »

Hi BL ,

Thanks for having a look . The answers to you r questions are:

Has a box - green
Sticker - Blue Abu 505 Svangsta
Paint - Crinkly 60's 70's special
The cowling has a steel insert

On further inspection under the panel there is a SN ( obscured by a big smudge of grease or at least thats my excuse for not noticing it). It reads 087102.

Some photos for you - sorry about the quality :

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers

Fluff

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

OK Fluffy, your reel is correct and as the serial number shows us it was manufactured August 1971, green box is correct too.
Black smooth painted handle for me is correct as 1971 was when they started to use them on the 505 and 503, sounds odd to have a smooth painted handle on a crinkle paint finished reel but may of had something to do with the birth of the 503 model, I have a Garcia 505 which is identical to your reel but a harder reel to find, shame it has the lid missing too.
Is there a green / white cardboard insert for the reel and does it have a slot for a spare spool in it top right hand corner? the 505 Garcia I have does not have this spare spool slot in it.
If it does not have a slot for a spool then the oil bottle will be top right and spanner bottom right.
If you look at the second picture you can clearly see the crinkle paint finish on the reel but the smooth paint on the handle.
Here is my Garcia 505 which is also for sale soon on line

"BB"

Fluffy
Stickleback

Post by Fluffy »

BL, Unfortunately the original owner was my late great great uncle so alas there's no chance of getting the information from him.Unless your particularly adept with a oiuja board that is . It came with A couple of mitchell reels , an Ambassadeur , some Zoom rods and a few other bits and pieces from about the late 60's to early 70's so that date sounds correct.Loads of Abu lures from tht period as well - it's quie funny to see how fashions change in that department.

Looking through creel magazine there are several bits of his kit advertised side by side .I did wonder whether he sat down looked through an issue and went I'll just have that, that and that will be me sorted. All of it is in pretty good nick so I assume he was either very light on or very careful with his tackle and therefore I do wonder whether the handle must have been original. This is with the exception of a hardy wanless spinning rod that looks like its had a hard life beating small children then a temporary stint propping up tomaotes efore finally being remembered as a fishing rod and being put back into the collection.

Unfortunately there's no cardboard insert for the box. I do have a set of instructions and a spanner for the reel though. There's also a little yellow rubber casting weight , although I'm not sure if that came with the Ambassadeur?

Fluffy
Stickleback

Post by Fluffy »

P.S. hadn't the other half of your photos . Very tidy indeed. I think mine will be for fishing not polishing though.

fluff

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

The 505 Garcia was a shop display reel hence its condition, typical that the lid of the box was thrown away when it was opened. :Brickwall:
Nice you have the other parts for your reel but shame about the insert.
Looks like we solved the question of the handle for you then?. :Scared:

"BB"

Fluffy
Stickleback

Post by Fluffy »

Hi BL ,

Just re read my post , wasn't intended to be snarky like it came - the perils of typing whilst wrestling a spaniel. Thanlyou for the expertise and advise. :Thumb: I think you're right there must have been a point at the changeover of models when they switched to the black arm but still with the crinkly body .

Any advise on fishing these reels?

You're right about the throwing away of boxes being a pain . The flipside is though that I now have a box full of my reel boxes taking up space and probably , as i fish all my reels and intend to continue doing so for as long as i'm able , will never be opened.

Chhers once again

Fluff.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

What advice do you want for these reels Fluffy? how to fish or what to fish and the odd tip of fishing with one?
You would need to give me a bit of info on where you fish or what river it is you intend to use it on.

"BB"

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

my 505 is also crinkle finish and black smooth handle,
I always thought that the handle is anodized black,
mine has a strange number though: 110702

Return to “ABU Reels”