Rough 704 backwind

The ABU Reels forum.
CafeRacer
Dace

Rough 704 backwind

Post by CafeRacer »

I dusted down an old 704 for a spot of trotting next weekend and noticed 2 issues- on backwind it feels unusually rough(even for a closed face :Wink: ).It winds perfectly smooth on the retrieve :Confused: .I opened it up and on quick inspection nothing appears worn.Its so bad Im tempted to use the syncro drag.Secondly- the twin pins disengage unreliably.
"Crazy,toys in the attic I am crazy,truly gone fishing."

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: Rough 704 backwind

Post by BeechmereLake »

Sounds like the reel could do with a service, maybe the grease has lost its soap and is more like candle wax, you could try just warming the reel up with some heat, leave it on a radiator for a while get it hot then try to wind it and see if its any smoother, IF it is then the reel would benefit a service.
From what I remember those pins on the 704 were not the best ones out there and did give several people I know problems, again a service would help improve this.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

the reels simple enough too strip and clean the gears ,the pin problem can be cured by removing one of them.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

CafeRacer
Dace

Post by CafeRacer »

I stripped the reel and gave it a service but its still rough on the backwind.I have a suspicion that its a worn bush in the handle assembley,this play may explain the sprockets not meshing as they should.At least Ive solved the pin issue by just binning one of them.
"Crazy,toys in the attic I am crazy,truly gone fishing."

Return to “ABU Reels”