Serious money and original ?

The ABU Reels forum.
BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Serious money and original ?

Post by BeechmereLake »

Came across this reel a week or so ago and it got me thinking a couple of things, would a collector of the Cardinal reels regard this as one of those reels he should have in his collection even though its just been made last year, and is the price a bit like the new Nike England football shirt, well over priced for what it is.

Ok the reel is still made in Sweden and limited to 1000 pieces, has an aluminium spool and a near 6:1 ratio.
Would you buy one for a keep sake or buy one to use? I have to say I have a hankering for one just to put in the cupboard but I need a 44X first, that would be an original 1970's reel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABU-GARCIA-CA ... 1c3de46799
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Serious money and original ?

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Anything from the USA will attract a handling charge of £8 and import duty and probably VAT on the charges :-)

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I can see why a collector might want one. It is a chapter in the history of the model and if you collect them that's generally the reason why. But as a collector and user of vintage tackle I'd rather have a battle scared original.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

maybe they make a batch every 20 years :Confused:
viewtopic.php?f=214&t=10852

Return to “ABU Reels”