Walker net – the essential metal work

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Walker net – the essential metal work

Post by Beresford »

Wal.

That's a fantastic offer thank you. I'll send you a PM when I have this part drawn up. Both woods sound great to me – let me ponder on that one a while. Thank you again. I'm not sure if it will be possible but I'd really like to have a prototype set of metal work made and photographed so that people could see what could be made available. As soon as I can get the plans drawn up, printed and over to the engineering company I will.

Beresford
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

No Problem Beresford, looking forward to hearing from you.

Wal.

Skinboy
Silver Bream

Post by Skinboy »

Another "yes" from me.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

A bit of an update: nothing earth shattering however, the most complex of the production drawings was finished today. I'll be doing the spreader block next.

Barney
Grayling

Post by Barney »

at this moment in time i'd be interested also,
Barney

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Interesting. I doubt I will have the funds required, following with interest all the same!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I would buy the components although I would buy the components but would then have to commission A TFF member to make a net for me.My practical skills are severely limited and were damaged by having to take do woodwork and metalwork at school instead of languages.Very useful for a Judge!
Mark Davies

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Update, only the ferrule to draw up then these plans are done. I'm passing by the engineering company tomorrow and will drop in to arrange a proper meeting. Progress.

Wal. PM on its way to you.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Another update and input needed. I had a meeting with the engineering company today – the quality of their work is very impressive, for example they make parts for scientific instruments that have to be accurate to within 5 microns. They gave me a sample that was binned as it was 5 microns out… They are very happy to quote for the work and form some of the prices they gave me for some small parts they were working on I think it's worthwhile asking for a quote.

A few questions came up during the meeting and I'd like feedback on peoples thoughts.

1) Stainless steel was suggested as it will wear better than aluminium however, the sample I have is a stainless steel part and I'm concerned about the weight even though it looks beautiful. So how do you feel about either material? My preference would be to go for aluminium.

2) Do you want to stick to Walker's specified BSF threads or are metric equivalents acceptable? Either can be done, for example although the drawings are currently metric I can adjust them to imperial before production.

3) The bolts that go through the hinge piece to form the pivots for the arms – Walker specified these to recess into the hinge piece however, some nets made later feature these as domed headed bolts. Is there a preference for either? I think the recessed version will be cheaper and because they would be more original that would be my preference.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Its looking good Beresford. Thank you for putting the time and effort into this project, it is most appreciated and I am sure anyone considering buying these items will be very grateful.
I do hope I don't have to work to within 5 microns for the spreader blocks though, :shocked: millimetres is hard enough with my aging eyes. :Hahaha:
My preferences would be 1) aluminium. 2) BSF threads. 3) Recessed heads.

Wal.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”