Little Barbel

This forum is for discussing barbel.
BobH

Little Barbel

Post by BobH »

Now this is a " Perfect " Barbel

Caught on a Maggot Feeder rig, whilst chub Fishing.

Bob

St.John
Tench

Re: Little Barbel

Post by St.John »

That's the smallest barbel I have ever seen. Well done!! Cute little thing isn't it! Looks like a gudgeon....
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

The smallest one I ever caught was a little larger - I weighed it at 9oz and I caught it from the River Severn. I was only 17 and I had brought along loads of cheap fish meal groundbait, which my mate Martin rightly called "Swim Dead" and suggested I should market it! Well, the only thing I caught was the wee little thing. Martin blanked, so we gave up barbel fishing for the day and caught chub on floating crust, from underneath an overhanging willow.
Happy times...

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

A lovely little fish Bob, I take it it's Grandad is the one in your avatar. :chuckle:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

BobH

Post by BobH »

No Mark,

The Little Barbel was from Fisher Green, the one in the Avatar was from the Ivel !!

Fantastic looking little fish, almost exactly the same as the Grandparents.

This was from the Green.

Bob :thumb:

BobH

Post by BobH »

Hermes

Brilliand Picture.

The Green was stocked with small Barbel after the massive fish kill and quite a lot of small Barbel were caught.

My one came from the swim above the secret, next to the Bench !!

Bob

BobH

Post by BobH »

Yes it was a great shame, I reported it to the EA on the Easter Sunday, I was Tench fishing the 70Acre at the time and stretched my legs, only to see dead fish floating down the river behind my swim after a bit of a flood that had happened overnight.

I later found out there were dead fish seen further up the river on Good Friday and it was not reported ?

A mate of mine works for the EA and he took 5 Black Pin Bags away full of dead Barbel and Chub from the Top of the fishery.

It was of course a cover up and we will never get to the bottom of it, but I was told by an EA fishery officier that they reckened 80% of the Barbel and Chub were killed, we will never know.

Great shame.

Bob

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”