Ash framed landing net head , crabtree style

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Paul Cook
Grayling

Ash framed landing net head , crabtree style

Post by Paul Cook »

A few months ago I was contacted by an interesting gentleman by the name of Rob Penn . He is currently writing a book about the Ash tree and its demise so my first guess was that perhaps he wanted some artwork for his book which is the usual case . However this was not to be , but a more interesting input was required . Robs idea with the book is an interesting and original concept . He had access to a recently felled Ash tree and wanted craftsman and craftswoman to make something in their chosen skills from the actual timber from this tree , a sort of testament that would continue to live on through the hands of others . My chosen input was an ash framed landing net head .
The next step was arranging for some of the ash to be cut to my required dimensions which Rob organised and delivered . Unfortunately I was unable to meet him when he was in the area and coming from Wales it wasnt something that was easy to organise and just pop in , but I hope soon to meet up with him .I have to say the strips he supplied was some of the best I have ever had , nice straight grain and fresh and dry so did not require any pre soaking to make the wood pliable prior to steaming.

The first step was set it in my metal formers ready for routing out the central channel . I like to have a bit of maet in the wood whenever channeling out the strips for this type of net .Taking out 50% of the timber through the entire length does create a weakness so it is important that the initial frame is substantial enough to cope with this overall .

With the router set at the correct depth the strip is ready to have the channel . The metal formers and a couple of clamps help hold everything in place so a nice neat straight line is achieved .Once this procedure is achieved it is now ready for steaming .

No fancy pipework here , a simple drainpipe blocked at either end and a small pilot hole drilled in the top is enough to steam sufficiently , a bit " heath robinson " but it works!

There is a limited time for bending the ash so you have to work quickly so it is better to be prepared before it cools down . I make sure all my clamps are set to the right depth so there is no fiddling about tightening up . I use wood blocks as cushions so the actual frame work doesnt get any marks from the clamps when they are tightened up .Ash is remarkably pliable when hot and bends around the former quite easily but it is important to work fast , the most critical process is the extreme curve , once this has been succesfully bent round and secured the rest is pretty straight forward and a sense of relief that all is going to plan .

The frame is now secure on the former and will now sit like this for the next few weeks to make sure that the timber has had enough time to settle down , so for now it is a waiting game for the next process .

Barbulus
Tench

Re: ash framed landing net head , crabtree style

Post by Barbulus »

What an original concept and a fantastic opportunity also to showcase not only the "Ash" but craftsmanship as well. I look forward to this post developing as the frame dries......

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Lovely work for an interesting cause. Thanks for sharing.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

That looks quite a big net frame Paul, is it a carp sized net or are they just small G clamps making it look big?

Looking forward to seeing this project progress..

Wal.

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Wallys-Cast wrote:That looks quite a big net frame Paul, is it a carp sized net or are they just small G clamps making it look big?

Looking forward to seeing this project progress..

Wal.
Not the largest net frame I have made , but looking at the clamps they do look big , just my rubbish photos . The frame itself is 500mm by 600mm .

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Ash framed landing net head , crabtree style

Post by Mark »

Looking good Paul, I can't wait for the next instalment.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Both fascinating and exciting..I look forward to seeing more of this type of work Paul
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Great stuff love these 'how to' posts
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

AndyB
Dace

Post by AndyB »

Nice work Paul, that Ash looks top notch, not too close grained. Look forward to seeing it progress.

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

Fascinating stuff and great to see a craftsman's skills. Looking forward to seeing the progression of the net and will be looking out for the book when it is published.
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”