Windbeaters and Driftbeaters

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Riparian
Bleak

Windbeaters and Driftbeaters

Post by Riparian »

Hello - I'm new to the forum and realise that I might end up writing about things that are not yet traditional enough. I expect that someone will soon put me right if that is the case! I spent an hour today re-varnishing my small supply of the Windbeater and Driftbeater floats by Drennan, the originals being purchased many years ago. The early version, the Windbeater, is less sensitive but I'm not sure that they are any longer available with the cane stem; the wire stem on the later versions is often too sensitive and can be sunk with a number 8 shot.

These floats have caught me many tench and bream from still and slow-flowing waters over the years and might get an outing tomorrow on the fen drain I have been baiting up for a couple of days. Completing the set up will be an Allcocks Wizard and a Match Aeriel, with a 6lb line straight through - some of the bream I've seen there this week must be 7lbs plus.
"It is the most delicious form of idling known to me."

Julian
Salmon

Re: Windbeaters and Driftbeaters

Post by Julian »

Welcome aboard Riparian :Hat:
I would certainly class windbeaters and driftbeaters as traditional floats now. Some of the makers of new cane rods, such as Paul Cook , also make and sell tench driftbeaters.
I have a few old Drennan driftbeaters - used them to catch many tench in the 80's - fishing sliding float style in a deep claypit.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome Riparian, Sir.

What are called "windbeaters" are very definitely traditional ... and Capt. L. A. Parker devotes a chapter to them in his 1948 book "This Fishing, or Angling Arts and Artifices," calling them 'antennae floats.'

Stating that "Every keen bottom fisherman should be in possession of a few of these and know how and when to use them," he goes on to say ;-

"I strongly recommend their use, not because they are so sensitive, but because they can be made to travel in a direct line with the stream, or kept practically stationary if fishing still water on a very windy day, no matter from what direction the wind is coming."
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Welcome, handy bits of kit that have been used for donkeys, so no worries I think.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Riparian
Bleak

Post by Riparian »

Thanks for the welcome and the reassuring words. If the drain is being pumped, I'll lay on with a porcupine quill - I know I'll be OK with one of those!

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Welcome to the TFF :cheers:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Welcome Riparian, Wind/Driftbeaters were discussed at length in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=11196&hilit=driftbeater

:Hat:

Riparian
Bleak

Post by Riparian »

Dave Burr wrote:Welcome Riparian, Wind/Driftbeaters were discussed at length in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=11196&hilit=driftbeater

:Hat:
Many thanks, Dave. I have read the entire thread. Fascinating - to quote an old advertisement, "I never knew there was so much in it!"

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”