Thread size on handle

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Cooksey

Thread size on handle

Post by Cooksey »

Hi all, I am in the process of having a folding net frame made, the blacksmith has informed that the thread size on the frame provided as a guide is imperial and is having difficulty locating the necessary equipment to replicate this on the new frame, he suggested re threading my various handles in a metric size, which is not an option due to the origin of these.
In relation to above, is there a metric equivalent to the imperial thread, he could use on the new frame which would allow me to use the original handles
Regards, lawrence.

MGs
Pike

Re: Thread size on handle

Post by MGs »

It is pretty easy to pick up taps and dies in 3/8". Any garage which works on old cars will have them. An internet search will show loads at reasonable prices
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Cooksey

Post by Cooksey »

Cheers MG, so is that the size 3/8 for tha male thread, picked a good blacksmith here haven't I !!!

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Don't thank me, thank Weyfarer. He put me on to it when I was making my "homemade" net. The thread on UK nets and bank sticks are all 3/8 bsf. Nuts, bolts, taps and dies are all available in this size. I tried to source bolts in brass but had to settle for stainless steel.

Cooksey

Post by Cooksey »

Well thank you for your help, just forwarded size onto the blacksmith so it should help him complete the item, he has made a 24 inch folding net in the old style along with a pair of 18 century bank sticks all for £30 , can't go wrong with that.
Regards
Lawrence

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Blimey, that is a bargain. Hope you can post some pictures when they are finished.

Cooksey

Post by Cooksey »

Will do, he is on the Internet, so if anyone needs items like this making he is the man for the job!
Regards,
Lawrence

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Just to confirm, as there were several different 3/8ths pitches, the thread you want is 3/8ths BSF ( British Standard Fine).

There are several sellers of tap and die sets on Ebay who actually carry these in stock , just as there are several who supply nuts and bolts and studding in this thread, who should be able to make you some in brass. For that matter you can pick nuts up in tackle shops sold by Preston Innovations.

All banksticks and net handles currently in production still use this thread regardless of where they are made ( Thank God)

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Nobby wrote:Just to confirm, as there were several different 3/8ths pitches, the thread you want is 3/8ths BSF ( British Standard Fine).

There are several sellers of tap and die sets on Ebay who actually carry these in stock , just as there are several who supply nuts and bolts and studding in this thread, who should be able to make you some in brass. For that matter you can pick nuts up in tackle shops sold by Preston Innovations.

All banksticks and net handles currently in production still use this thread regardless of where they are made ( Thank God)
Beat me to it Nobby..........

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

There is a rider to this. Having spent several hours on the phone to various suppliers of nuts and bolts. Supplies of bolts in brass are almost impossible to find at a reasonable cost for the length I wanted. Lots of suppliers are only happy to deal in bulk. So ordering small quantities is tricky. Postage for these items seem to be prohibitive (£8 or more for 2 bolts). It took me several days to track down stainless steel bolts in this thread, in the length I required and at a reasonable cost. I got there in the end but was beginning to lose heart a bit by the end.
I have one spare, but if I was going to do it again I would cut my own

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”