Why does this happen on my ABU66?

The ABU Reels forum.
Julian
Salmon

Why does this happen on my ABU66?

Post by Julian »

I have recently been trying out two vintage reels for carp fishing (very generously given to me by two forum members).
One is an ABU66, the other a DAM330N - both in good working order.
However on both of them , especially the ABU66, when the line is under considerable tension from a largish or weeded-up carp the line begins to 'embed' into the spool, and becomes difficult to unwind afterwards. If the hook gets caught on a root or branch/ bush and I have to pull for a break, which takes a considerable amount of effort with 12lb line, the embedding on the spool creates a right mess and the only way to remove the line is to literally cut through it all to get it off the spool.
I am using the same make and strengths of line as I have used regularly for a long time, and I have been very careful to ensure the line-lay is OK when I put the line on the spool.
Why does it do this and what is the solution?

I have never had this problem with my Mitchell 300 ( 1956 model), or with any of my modern Shimano reels.

Here is a couple of photos of the ABU66 after pulling for a break last Friday:

There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Gord
Crucian Carp

Re: Why does this happen on my ABU66?

Post by Gord »

to me they look a tad over filled as i have a 44 and a 330n and i havnt had any trouble
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The old ABU reels have awful line lay and I had a similar problem with my 44. The smaller capacity match spools are better or try and find a cork arbour for the spool to save putting too much line on..

Wal.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Can I take it the spool is the original metal deep spool?

When you loaded the line how did you do it?

Best way is to put the spool of line in a bucket of warm water, put the reel on a butt section of your rod and thread the line through the bottom eye or eyes and then proceed to wind the line onto the spool making sure there is some sort of tension to the line so that the coils of line going on to the spool are not slack in any way. The line should sit quite even on the spool but only just, most seem to slightly conical to the front, that said I have had a 66 that loaded itself front heavy which was horrible, bail arm was bent in a wrong fashion.

I will just pop out and load one of my 66's for you lets see whats happening, only got 25lb sea line so this should highlight whats going on.

Moving on to if you have a fish weed itself or hook a snag or branch, hand lining is by far the best way to break the line or move the fishes head, by not using the rod you get a direct pull (after the stretch has gone out of the line) on what ever the hook is attached to and I have to say I have got back more fish than I care to remember after they weeded themselves, even in the thickest of lily pads or snags .
You also save your rod from being abused/broken by doing so, hook a fish or a snag always hand line its so worth it.

For such a heavy line I would be quite happy with this, compared to my usual 5lb Maxima this what tugs use to pull ships in :Happy:

The last 2 foot of line was hand wound onto the spool
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Gord wrote:to me they look a tad over filled as i have a 44 and a 330n and i havnt had any trouble

Definitely not overfilled spools - it just looks like that after the event had happened

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Wallys-Cast wrote:The old ABU reels have awful line lay and I had a similar problem with my 44. The smaller capacity match spools are better or try and find a cork arbour for the spool to save putting too much line on..

Wal.
Thanks Wal - helpful, that may explain why I have never had the problem with the Mitchell which has a smaller shallower spool.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

BeechmereLake wrote:Can I take it the spool is the original metal deep spool?

Yes

When you loaded the line how did you do it?

Other than not putting it in a bucket of warm water ( which I never do with any loading) I am basically doing exactly as you state

Best way is to put the spool of line in a bucket of warm water, put the reel on a butt section of your rod and thread the line through the bottom eye or eyes and then proceed to wind the line onto the spool making sure there is some sort of tension to the line so that the coils of line going on to the spool are not slack in any way. The line should sit quite even on the spool but only just, most seem to slightly conical to the front, that said I have had a 66 that loaded itself front heavy which was horrible, bail arm was bent in a wrong fashion.

I will just pop out and load one of my 66's for you lets see whats happening, only got 25lb sea line so this should highlight whats going on.

Moving on to if you have a fish weed itself or hook a snag or branch, hand lining is by far the best way to break the line or move the fishes head, by not using the rod you get a direct pull (after the stretch has gone out of the line) on what ever the hook is attached to and I have to say I have got back more fish than I care to remember after they weeded themselves, even in the thickest of lily pads or snags .
You also save your rod from being abused/broken by doing so, hook a fish or a snag always hand line its so worth it.

Thanks . All good advice - which I will try to remember in future - but the line also starts to embed on the spool with just a good size carp being played in a weedy swim - ie even when the fish is not snagged up

For such a heavy line I would be quite happy with this, compared to my usual 5lb Maxima this what tugs use to pull ships in :Happy:

The last 2 foot of line was hand wound onto the spool

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

What is the line called Julian?

The line I spooled on that 66 was Daiwa sensor cheap rubbish for sea fishing and it seemed to sit OK.

Another quick question is how much play do you have if you hold the reel in the left hand and pull on the spool with your right? Just curious
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Julian wrote:
Wallys-Cast wrote:The old ABU reels have awful line lay and I had a similar problem with my 44. The smaller capacity match spools are better or try and find a cork arbour for the spool to save putting too much line on..

Wal.
Thanks Wal - helpful, that may explain why I have never had the problem with the Mitchell which has a smaller shallower spool.

I think the problem lies in the reels rapid oscillation. The spool travels in and out like a fiddlers elbow leaving voids between the line wrapping in each layer of line. The deeper the spool the softer this line wrapping becomes and a good pull on the line will bed it into half a dozen lower layers and tries to lift them out as you try to take line.
The slower oscillation of the Mitchell gives a neater and tighter line lay and although still not perfect its a ton better than the ABU as a fishing tool.

Wal.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Welcome to the world of old fixed spools :Happy: Most of them had awful line lay which all ended when variable oscillation was introduced along with an anti-twist mechanism on the bale arm. Nowadays even cheap and nasty reels can have decent line lay.

I found with old reels, Mitchell and Abu included that even having the join knot of your line in the 'wrong' place could start the line lay off kilter which, by the time the spool was full, would be conical and absolutely horrible to fish with. I always tried to get the knot wound onto the back of the spool with a couple of turns to bed in the loose tags, this usually did the trick.

But a bent bale arm or a problem with the spool's oscillation will all put everything out of line so it may be an internal fault with the reel.

Either way, I love my 66 and have had no real problems with the line lay on it.

Return to “ABU Reels”