Hooks to nylon

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Kingfisher
Catfish

Hooks to nylon

Post by Kingfisher »

Does anybody use hooks to nylon.

Dad is not good at tying knotts, i offer to show him how and he won't have it. I have to order him hooks ready tied.

I would like to order them through ebay, any suggestions?

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Aitch
Pike

Re: Hooks to nylon

Post by Aitch »

Personally I'd not bother with ebay and it's fees, scams and postage rip-offs..... any decent tackle shop will stock them
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

I almost exclusively use them either fixed via a swivel or via a loop-2-loop connection .I do buy in bulk of e-bay as I find it easier ( I have a habit of buying in bulk ,as I like to have plenty in hand ) I do also get some from aldi/lidL when in stock ,but do tend to use them in my loaner kit (I keep a set up to lend my brother,he's too tight to buy his own gear) but I've not had any real problems using them ,I just have my favourites

these are quite good and come in barbed / barbless & Hair rigs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTD-Barbed-Ba ... 099wt_1348
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I use them all the time, mainly because I can't get two the same length when tying my own. Always use a trusted make and check them first. I find drennan and Kamsan quite good, but have had hooks snap and line kink on cheaper makes.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Bluelabel wrote:Personally I'd not bother with ebay and it's fees, scams and postage rip-offs..... any decent tackle shop will stock them

That's the problem Bluelabel, we don't have a tackle shop within 30 miles of here and it's in the oposite direction to where we both fish. So I have to order them online.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Matthew tell me what you want and I'll go to tackle shop and send you them if you want
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I have used Drennan and they have all been reliable so, I would recommend them for your dad. Just unwind them carefully otherwise they tangle and tangles can promote much swearing and gnashing of teeth..... apparently.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

If buying online is the only sensible option then I'd go with trusted makes such as Drennan, Preston Innovations and of course, Kamasan.

If you look to pay about £2.25 a pack( the going price everywhere it seems ) and just letter rate postage you're probably 'greener' than driving to a tackle shop anyway :Chuckle:

But you might just find the odd bargain...such as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-KAMASAN-TI ... 2ed521ff8a

Three packs at a cheap price and postage included. No connection with the seller etc etc.

Do stick to a known maker though.....there is a lot of packs out there made with poor line and make sure you're buying barbless, if that's what you want.

My days of tying line to tiny hooks are behind me and I really can't fault modern hooks to nylon.

Bear in mind that you can buy more than just hooks to nylon too...there's hair loops, pellet bands, paste coils and every trick known to man out there as well.

Other trustworthy names include Maver, Middy, Guru, Korum and Tubertini.

Gammarus
Chub

Post by Gammarus »

I carry some for convenience, worth noting is that Drennn use thinner nylon than Kamasan.
Kamasan 5lb is 0.20 and Drennan is 0.16. I haven't tested them, notted etc. but it may be worth considering, I give the thicker stuff to my wife - you may wish to do the same for your dad :Wink:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Kingfisher wrote:
Bluelabel wrote:Personally I'd not bother with ebay and it's fees, scams and postage rip-offs..... any decent tackle shop will stock them

That's the problem Bluelabel, we don't have a tackle shop within 30 miles of here and it's in the oposite direction to where we both fish. So I have to order them online.
If you are near the A44 try the Docklow pools tackle shop it's superb and very well stocked

HR6 0RU
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”