Abu 444A

The ABU Reels forum.
SeanM
Tench

Abu 444A

Post by SeanM »

Does anyone know how to remove the main drive gear on a 444A? I've got one that is in excellent condition but has a damaged gear. I've stripped out everything else and I assume that the gear pulls out complete with the stub axle for the handle, but I can't budge it.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: Abu 444A

Post by BeechmereLake »

If the handle is removed and the rest of the internals the main gear should just come out, might pay to soak it in some penetrating fluid over night then try and press the gear out from the handle side of the reel, you would think if the handle/gear goes round then the gear should come out.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

BeechmereLake wrote:If the handle is removed and the rest of the internals the main gear should just come out, might pay to soak it in some penetrating fluid over night then try and press the gear out from the handle side of the reel, you would think if the handle/gear goes round then the gear should come out.
That's what's puzzling me BL. I wonder of the chrome cup on the handle shaft locks it on in some way - I can't remove that either!

NickM
Ruffe

Post by NickM »

The chrome dust cap just lifts off. Use WD40 or such like to loosen it. You will need to ease out a bent wire retainer from the nylon slider (use pliers very gently or cut it and later replace with stainless steel wire ) and lift out the inserted clip to free up the spindle. after that it should be plain sailing.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Cheers Nick I'll give it a go.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Is everything removed from the inside of the reel? things like the axle and the plastic oscillation block?
If so with the handle removed the dust cap should just fall off unless there is one of those locking washers like you find on a Mitchell handle holding the dust cap on, if there is it will need to be removed first.

"BB"

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Thanks chaps! Sorted now. The dust cap had locked solid on the handle shaft. The handle was locked solid due to over tightening when I acquired the reel and I think that someone's attempts to free it up had damaged some teeth on the main drive gear. Now I can remove the gear I can dress the damaged teeth and hopefully all will be well.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Hope you get it working OK, nice reels those early models :Thumb:

"BB"

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Sorted - swapped a main gear with another reel and will work on the gear from this one at my leisure. These reels are much better than the Ambidex for barbel fishing as I like to loosen off the drag so that I don't lose the rod on the take then tighten it up to play the fish. The spring loaded drag on the Ambidex takes several turns to tighten whereas the 444A needs only about a quarter turn and it's rear drag.

The drag on these reels does need a bit of maintenance to keep in top condition. I've found that keeping it grease free helps stop any stickiness, but I'm going to experiment with 'dry' ptfe lube at some point.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I thought them better 'dry' too, Sean...but they never stay that way.....

Return to “ABU Reels”