Cardinal 40

The ABU Reels forum.
Gammarus
Chub

Cardinal 40

Post by Gammarus »

I have a Cardinal 40 and a Cardinal 40 Model A on my shelf, thinking of bringing one back into action for my Hardy Wanless - as I'm not convinced the Altex is the right reel for the rod.

Other than some obvious external cosmetic differences what is the difference between the two reels? I'm thinking the Model A is a later model? Does anyone have any other experience with these models of Abu and any tips for their use or improvement?

MHC

Re: Cardinal 40

Post by MHC »

I feel that a Cardinal, any model, looks good on glass, but not sure about one on cane. Just me.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Im with MHC on this, while a great reel to use on glass or dare I say it carbon these Abu Cardinal reels dont look so kind of prehistoric enough for using on a cane rod, maybe an older model like the ABU 222 (zangi made) reel from the late 50's would suit a cane rod better.
Just my thoughts.
On the two reels the 40A is the later model reel, just, better known as Abu ECO model reels they were the Abu budget reels at that time, the blues came from 74-77 years then the black 40A model came in 78-79, eventually these reels went over to skirted spools and had a 1 put in front of the number, so the 40 became the 140 and the 60 became the 160.
It is thought some of the 40A, 60A and 70A models came with a Champagne painted rotor rather than the flat Tan/black fleck color we are used to seeing, these would be rather rare reels if you have one.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Gammarus
Chub

Post by Gammarus »

Agreed, it isn't a reel of great beauty for the cane, but I put functionality first.
I have mitchell 300, too big. Mitchell 308, too small and goes on my spinning rod with light line. Hardy Altex, may use it sometimes but I am "heavy handed" with my tackle, so need an everyday knockabout. An Abu 333, which I had from new (late 60s), a possible alternative. Or modern fixed spools, I'm not buying another reel!
Otherwise I use centrepins, of which I have plenty for the rod.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I like the ABU 333 model, a nice reel to use compared to a 40 for sure.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Didnot a Mr Yates use a Cardinal (I think 44) on a (Barder)sc rod in one of his films?
I use a 444 and a 333 on my Hardy LRH2 and LRH3 rods and think it looks o.k. but with the Cardinal 40
I think it looks a tad to modern for a sc rod.But shouldnot a combo be useful at last ?!?The C 40
is not a modern china.....reel of today at all.....

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

What about an Ambidex?

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I think they look OK on cane but they sound a lot better than they look. :Wink:

That clutch sings a pure melody.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Gammarus
Chub

Post by Gammarus »

BeechmereLake wrote:I like the ABU 333 model, a nice reel to use compared to a 40 for sure.
There's a story to my ABU 333 (as there's a story to all good things in life).
When I was a teenager at school in Dorset (late 1960s) I was secretary of the school fishing club on the Stour and had found a nice bend with a good head of roach, so I arranged a fishing competition on the river and went and chose a prize. Obviously I made the rules up for the competition!

The prize just happened to be the 333 which I had my eye on as a reel and couldn't afford out of my pocket money. As luck would have it, I got my swim and the roach were feeding. I won the fishing competition and awarded my self first prize :clap:

Some might say the event was rigged, but to this day I convince myself that I won fair and square and the reel did sterling service for many, many years, maybe time to bring it back to life again.

MHC

Post by MHC »

To my mind Mitchell's suit bamboo down to the ground. If the 300 is too large and the 308 is too small... then the best choice is the 314, best of both worlds, with it's very slow up and down 'planomatic' gears.

Return to “ABU Reels”