Rudd

Re: The Edgar Sealey & Sons - Range of Cane Rods

Post by Gilbert »

Sealey Strikerite

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

I couldn’t see the Edgar Sealey & Sons The Rover 11 ft 3 piece built cane. Ideal rod for chub, bream, tench and big perch Regards Martin

Myford
Minnow

Post by Myford »

I've got a 8ft 6" 2 piece Octofly, not sure what weight it is - at a guess #3 or #4 , could not see it on the list.

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Edgar Sealey Spinet 7lb 2 piece 8 foot long spinning rod

Trevor

Mike Crompton
Gudgeon

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi,
Just purchased from my local car boot an Edgar Sealey 14ft, yes fourteen foot, Match Rod.
The Edgar Sealey Octopus ESS logo is intact and I can just make out what I think is the words, The Match, in red. It is three piece, has a bamboo? Butt and long cork handle, a middle section with a spliced split cane section and the top is also split cane. Overall in poor condition and needs a complete refurbishment. Having checked various sources I can only find reference to a glass fibre 14 ft and a 13ft cane version. Was this a production model or a special order? A date of when this rod was produced would be useful, perhaps someone who has early Edgar Sealey catalogues might be able to help?
Mike

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

Mike Crompton wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:32 pm Hi,
Just purchased from my local car boot an Edgar Sealey 14ft, yes fourteen foot, Match Rod.
The Edgar Sealey Octopus ESS logo is intact and I can just make out what I think is the words, The Match, in red. It is three piece, has a bamboo? Butt and long cork handle, a middle section with a spliced split cane section and the top is also split cane. Overall in poor condition and needs a complete refurbishment. Having checked various sources I can only find reference to a glass fibre 14 ft and a 13ft cane version. Was this a production model or a special order? A date of when this rod was produced would be useful, perhaps someone who has early Edgar Sealey catalogues might be able to help?
Mike
I think that may be Spanish reed, in fact I think I may have a 13ft one awaiting restoration myself. I'll have a look tomorrow.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Mike Crompton
Gudgeon

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi,
I think you are correct, it is Spanish reed. It is a mighty rod!
Had a close look at the remains of the wording and have come to the conclusion it could be either “The Match Rod” or just “Match Rod”. The remains are difficult to read but the shorter version seems to fit the rod better. Any thoughts?
Many thanks.
Mike

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”