A New Shirt, A Classic.

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Scott
Tench

A New Shirt, A Classic.

Post by Scott »

Just bought myself one of these iconic outdoors shirts, the Woolrich Buffalo Check, first introduced in the 1860s. OK, maybe not 'English' traditional but there's no doubting it's heritage over the pond.

And my hero John Gierach wears one!

I've had this strange urge to lately to dress 'American' traditional when out angling, swop the moleskins for jeans, Barbour shirt for Woolrich and ditch the flat cap in favour of a John Deere baseball cap, nailed the look.

Where has this urge has come from? Perhaps it's because my favourite fly fishing books are American and I kind admire their fly fishing heritage, it being blue collar, hippie, Bohemian as opposed to our upper class roots...

Anyway, anybody else a fan of Woolrich?

:Hat:

Robbi
Tench

Re: A New Shirt, A Classic.

Post by Robbi »

oh yes, great shirts indeed.

I think I might even have a green wool one up stairs that due to an increasing waistline needs to be moved on at some point.
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

If that's you in the top picture then yes, its a very good look :Sarcasm:

But beware, baseball caps have a habit of making people look dumber than they are - 'IQ reducers' my dad used to call them. American country ware is one thing, Redneck chic is something entirely different y'awl.

Yuk Yuk!

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Dave Burr wrote:If that's you in the top picture then yes, its a very good look :Sarcasm:

But beware, baseball caps have a habit of making people look dumber than they are - 'IQ reducers' my dad used to call them. American country ware is one thing, Redneck chic is something entirely different y'awl.

Yuk Yuk!
Yes Dave, it's the red neck look I'm after, crank up Hank Williams and call me Dwaylon...

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Scott wrote:
Dave Burr wrote:If that's you in the top picture then yes, its a very good look :Sarcasm:

Yuk Yuk!
Yes Dave, it's the red neck look I'm after, crank up Hank Williams and call me Dwaylon...
Isn't dwaylon what the shirts are made out of? :Confused:

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I won't have anything said against Hank. And if you want clarification on the subject of US attitudes to fishing I suggest you follow the link in my sig. The man who wrote 'Later Alligator' (and many other great songs) supported by the inimitable Delbert McClinton on slide. I'll see you around, when I get back in town........

Correction to above: now I'm back in the country and able to check my record collection I see that the slide guitar on this is in fact the equally inimitable Sonny Landreth. It was however, allegedly, Delbert who taught John Lennon how to play the mouth organ, when he was touring the UK in the early 60s with Bruce 'Hey, Baby' Channel although, in fact, he didn't see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdXzJaCeHP8.
Last edited by Stathamender on Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Or you might try this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh3ml8gzrd4. Unfortunate moustaches, I know, but one of the great country rock groups there and a vision of bivvy life I can live with. And if we're talking about swamp music let's hear it for Johnny Allen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHRg2nUtwQ4.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Sion
Bleak

Post by Sion »

I revert to a Pendelton wool shirt for my fishing attire during the winter months (another American country classic).

Woolrich also a great look - your a lumberjack and your ok!

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

And, of course, where would we be without rain? Here's Gary Allan, one of my favourite contemporary country singers (not least for the chord that opens this song) although somewhat let down by the rather over excited director of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEkQGa_O5tU. Is that a Mitchell we see briefly now and then? Certainly, as a native Lancastrian I can claim considerable familiarity with rain but somehow we never got this kind of steaminess around Accrington. If only.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Great shirt Scott! I'm a big fan of American fly fishing history. The Catskills are on my bucket list.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”