Which Barbour jacket do you wear?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Which Barbour jacket do you wear?

Post by RBTraditional »

You know you need the "Ashby" Mal.........life is too short not to have it !
Last edited by RBTraditional on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Mal, you need to buy one and to to take it to a tailor to achieve the Ashby-cut :Chuckle:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I always preferred the working raglan sleeve styles of the Solway (heavyweight) and Gamefair (lightweight) or the shorter Moorland (heavyweight version) and Beaufort (lightweight version) rather than the tailored sleeves of the Northumbria (heavy with wool liner) and Border (lighter material version with cotton liner). The Northumbria and Border look smarter and were the cream of the crop in the 80's but I found them less comfortable for actually doing country things in. Having said that the Northumbria made for a decent groundsheet :whistle:

Over the years I used a Solway the most but my Westmoorland Waistcoat has been used much more than any Barbour jacket with sleeves.

Having said all that, I rid myself of all waxed cotton other than my Westmoorland waistcoat many years ago. I wish I'd hung onto one for thorn protection on the odd occaission I need it, but in all honesty I got fed up with being hot and clammy in the things when there really was no need.

A Musto Highland Jacket I purchased which cost £299.99 over 20 years ago changed my thinking on extreme weather protection. Being comfortable enhances my enjoyment. But I do admit, a well worn in Barbour takes some beating for looks. Then again, my old Musto with it's frayed lived in Moleskin collar...
Last edited by Shaun Harrison on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Solway (40 years old), Border and Westmorland :-)

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

OldTackle wrote:Mal, you need to buy one and to to take it to a tailor to achieve the Ashby-cut :Chuckle:
Ooooooh suits you Mal....suits you!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

I have a Polarquilt, Bedale, Beacon, Dry-Fly and my wading jacket is The Spey. Also have Barbour Endurance waders. Love em all!

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

"Border"; purchased in 1985 and still going strong with a deep "patina" now.........

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Beaufort for me, had mine for years now, it gets a re-wax once a year and this year for the first time I gave it a cold water bath just to freshen up the liner.
Love the practically of them, poachers pocket means I can normally carry all I need as has been already said they look better the older they get. :Hat:
Forgot to add I also have two Barbour caps, a quilted jacket a pair of woolly socks and a pair of there woolly gloves.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Solway for me. Bought from Bennetts of Sheffield in 1972 for the grand sum of £22. I paid the balance over 6 months.
It is a little tight now as Barbours are well known to shrink as they get older.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I have three with my 25 year old Northumbria a favourite- not forgetting that we could all buy something lighter/warmer and probably cheaper- but thats not the point!

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”