My "new" Speedias

The Speedia Reels forum.
Anchorman
Stickleback

My "new" Speedias

Post by Anchorman »

Hi.
I've been a member on here for a while but not posted before. So please bear with!

Recently I have become interested in Speedias and have purchased three, all Narrows, with the intention of using them for trotting on local rivers here in darkest Norfolk.

I have a few questions please.......

Firstly, how does one put up photo's? I have done so in the past on another forum using photobucket, can't see any means of doing so on here.

Secondly, whilst all three reels spin quite nicely, nice easy start up and 60 second plus durations in all cases, not surprisingly they all seem to have some degree of play between the spool and the spindle. Presumably worn bearings. Can I ask please if anyone knows is this fixable by someone like Garry Mills, and if so is it likely to be reasonably economic to do?

And finally, I have read lots of fascinating stuff on here and elsewhere about the history (or perhaps mystery) surrounding the whole W.R. Industries/Speedia phenomenon. I have an idea regarding the possible origin of the company name. Given that the factory unit behind no. 52 Boscombe Road may well have had an entrance on the adjoining Westville Road, might not the initials W.R. be taken from something as simple as the road name?

Kind regards, Tim.

Trilob
Chub

Re: My "new" Speedias

Post by Trilob »

Welcome and enjoy! :Hat:

about the pictures:
1. Select a new topic or reply to a post, then
2. Scroll down the screen and click on the TinyPic picture.
3. Click on the browse button and find your picture on you own computer.
4. Click on ‘Upload Now’.
5. Click on ‘Place inline'.
6. Add you own text to the post and click submit

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Welcome aboard, I use tiny pic, there is a small multi coloured icon down towards the left of the page, click on that then click browse, this should allow you to choose the photo you want to upload.
You may be able to adjust out some play on your reels by tweaking the end float screw, plenty of posts on here about it, you could get them re-bushes but it may cost. :Hat:
Haha Trilob beat me to it :Thumb:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Westfield Road huh?

That's as good an idea as any other.

The factory unit seems to have been knocked down in the last couple of years and a huge extension added to the house to the left of where it once was.
Last edited by Nobby on Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anchorman
Stickleback

Post by Anchorman »

Thanks for your help chaps, I will upload pics later then.

Kind regards, Tim.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

The bush can be removed and replaced. But cost is the thing. To pay someone to remove and then create a new bush is a lot of time and therefore money. I found one puller that could possibly pull the original bush. Sadly about $200 plus post from the states. You can split the bush with a Dremel tool but it's again time and skill... It will cost unless you do it yourself. The replacement bush is more hopeful. You can get bronze bushes in approximate sizes that can be trimmed and reamed but you need access to a lathe...

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Welcome aboard Anchorman,

..."all three reels spin quite nicely, nice easy start up and 60 second plus durations in all cases"

The sound as if they will all work fine as they are, use and enjoy....
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Anchorman
Stickleback

Post by Anchorman »

Ah, success, well impressed.

With the help of you guys, I have got my pics on.
These are the three suspects.
I think the best of them is bottom right, appears to be the least used, and basically I think it's pretty well good to go, minimal play, good ratchet (though I'll only be using that when on the move etc, mind you that's important, I do move around a bit!).
I do rather like the one on the left as well, nice chunky screw-on handles, thicker spool rim, which I have polished up a bit, remaining paintwork is that nice crackle finish and a very smart brass detachable foot. Probably the oldest?
The last one is ok as well, but like the second, it has lateral play between spool and spindle. Sufficient that I think it will need attention, so I think I will probably contact Garry Mills and see how much he will charge. Don't have workshop, tools etc to do it myself, let alone time.
Just waiting now for the rivers to subside, I haven't been out for literally weeks, half the winter gone and in a handful of trips I've managed one nice Wensum chub, a handful of sparkling non-tidal Yare roach with a lone dace thrown in and a total blank on a flooded Waveney.
Looking forward to bolting one of these on to a long float rod when conditions improve and seeing how it compares with the present weapon of choice - that's my beloved late-model Swallow, a lovely reel but so "clean" I find myself wiping it whenever I lay it down.........
Thanks for the help guys. Nobby I take it that is an old image of Boscombe Road? I like your site, much of what I have learnt about Speedia's comes from it and also Chavenders archive.

All the best, Tim.

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Three nice Speedias there. Do not be in too much of a hurry to have the play taken out unless it is too bad. A little play is normal with these reels. From what you write they appear on the face of it to be working OK. Take them fishing and see how they perform as having any play removed will be costly.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Nice Speedia's and good theory on WR Products name origin :Hat:
niceroach

Return to “Speedia Reels”