History - how the Americans do it

General fly fishing chat area.
GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Re: History - how the Americans do it

Post by GarryProcter »

Very nice Paul, but it does upset me somewhat. It upsets me that I lived for 6 years just outside Cambridge (MA) and had no idea that museum was there (almost) just up the road in Manchester (VT). Alas, now I'm sentenced to a 6 further year stretch (at least) just outside the wrong Manchester, it's no longer just up the road...

I think I remember hearing rumours (or reading) about your plan for the British Angling Museum, a great shame it never came to fruition. Hope you have recovered fully from those 'unfortunate responses'.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

I do remember seeing that post Paul (I lurk a lot, but rarely stick my snout above the surface). A great shame the museum never came off, and your experiences (referred to ion the first post above) do not reflect particularly well on some of our angling 'glitterati'.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

There is of course the virtual museum here:
http://www.fishingmuseum.org.uk/

and also
http://www.anglingheritage.org/

In some ways I think part of the difference with the US situation is how we British tend to deal with success: we aren't the same sort of gong beating celebrationists as our American cousins, tending more towards the "bashing off pedestal" approach! I once heard a quotation, referring to superheroes actually, that summed it up - "an Englishman would be too modest to leap tall buildings in a single bound even if he could, and as for wearing his underpants outside his trousers..."

We seem culturally to much prefer the triumphant loser - cf. Eddie the Eagle for example - than the out and out world beater, finding such people (who of necessity need a particular brand of confidence that can appear to verge on the arrogant) a little distasteful.

I kind of like it that way too....

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

I've been unfortunate enough to meet (non-angling) super-egos on both sides of the pond - and I find nothing to choose between the US and UK version. There's good and bad everywhere.

Return to “General Fly Chat”