Circle Hooks

This forum is for discussing pike.
Phil Arnott
Chub

Re: Circle Hooks

Post by Phil Arnott »

Tizer wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:01 pm I timed myself once when I landed a pike..out of the water,into my pike cradle(thats another story) unhooked..weighed..photo of this side then a photo of the other side and back in the water..1 min 20 secs....I see people who even after 5 mins they still have not got their trebles out of the mouth,makes my blood boil
What's interesting is that fish quickly returned, particularly those unhooked while still in the water, are often re-captured in the same day proving the experience was not too traumatic to them.

On quite a few occasions I've stepped in to unhook fish where the captor was struggling. Mostly the problem is one of inexperience or actual fear of handling the fish.
Last edited by Phil Arnott on Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Then they should not fish for pike if they are scared of them ,it can only end one way..As you said,I have caught the same pike 3 times in a day before on my circles,you might be tempted to say that there is not much food in there for them but that was not the case,it was a very healthly water, so me catching it did not stress it out to much or it would have gone away and sulked whereas if it had been on the bank bouncing around why someone tried to get two trebles out of its mouth and then take a picture and then weigh it and then put it back,I would think it would not forget that in a hurry

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

We are coming to the time of year when many wannabe pikers head off in search of their first Pike.I know we all have to start somewhere but I have seen some horrendous sights/behaviour over the years.The PAC do a great job but sadly many go out with no idea about handling Pike.
On the odd occasions I read the weeklies etc many of them still advocate the use of two trebles.We have moved on a great deal in the last forty years or so but a great deal still remains to be done.
Whenever I come across a novice piker I always try and point them in the right direction.Normally my advice is well received.Education,education!

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I now use circle hooks and barbless trebles(fished singly)for all my pike fishing. The deadbait being hooked through the top lip or the root of the tail. I have little or no trouble with deep hooking, although I am always equipped with very long strong forceps, long armed wire cutters and of course a good unhooking matt. Its well worth going pike fishing with an experienced angler or watch the various videos that appear on Youtube about handling and unhooking pike. They are perhaps the most delicate of all coarse fish.I am sure there is good advice on the Pike Anglers Club website.My best fish of last season at 16lbs was caught on a single circle hook and a roach deadbait.Image
Mark Davies

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Phil Arnott wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:16 pm I've used Mustad 39951NP-BN Fine Demon Perfect Circle Hooks for quite some time now and can recommend them.

Always use in-line circle hooks. Do not make the mistake of using off-set circle hooks as they will deep hook and are impossible to remove. They have been made illegal in many places in America.

The bait should be hung off the bend of the hook or hair-rigged so the gape of the hook is not impeded.

With pike there is always a problem with the fish holding the bait crosswise before turning and swallowing head first. I'm not in favour of using a Pennel system as I have found fish starving to death after breaking the line and having the Pennel stuck across their throat. Also if the fish takes the bait down instantly or without moving off, removing two hooks can be very problematic and bad for the fish. 99% of the time I lip-hooked the bait on a single no. 10 semi-barbless treble and gave the fish a little time to turn it. Over the years I've only had to leave hooks in three fish which took deeply, one of which went from 21lb to 23lb before being captured again and was very healthy. The small treble appears to do little harm unlike a large hook which can pass through the stomach wall and injure a vital organ.

Using circle hooks you should lip-hook the bait and give time for the fish to turn the bait and start to swallow it before tightening to the fish and letting it run away from you. Up to now I've only used used circle hooks for catching bass and have not deep-hooked any fish. I'm confident they would prove excellent for pike.
Glad you said that,ie about off set circles,Do not use them for your pike fishing,you only have to look at them and you can see they will not work the way they are supposed to,if a pike swallows one of them(which shouldn't happen anyway ,unless you have left it too long) you can see that it will catch in its thoat on the way up whereas a circle wont..In October when I start my piking I have found that you will have to wind down to the pike imediatly,do not wait at all, do not wait for the pike to turn the bait,if you do you risk hooking it near the thoat...............In fact I do not wait to wind down at any time of the year,yes I miss a few, buy 9 times out of ten it will come back.This is only my opinion after 50 years of piking,

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Post by Caractacus Potts »

I've been using Sakuma 440 circle hooks recently, more for zander than pike, although I have had a few pike on them.
I've found them a revelation, virtually every zed hooked in the scissors and a very good hook up rate too.
Very impressed.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Circle hooks are the future for pike fishing,anyone that cares about the pike should at least give them a go,I think that the only pikers that will not give them a try and will never give up the 2 treble snap tackle are what I call the catch at all cost pikers,just my opinion and you are probaly fed up with me saying that so I best keep quiet for a while.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Yep! Not two trebles tho - a single and a semi barbless treble of not a big size 6/8 being ample.

It is not the tackle used - - - - - - it is the angler!

Lost one pike to deep hooking in 60 years - won my first award in 1969 for a pike - now had about 50+ over 20lb. None from trout waters.

I will try circle hooks but I still think a novice using one hook is really asking for trouble. Barbless hooks are easy to remove.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Yesterday I inspected my circles and they had a small offset.A bit of fettling and they are now inline.I will carry on using them this Pike season and see how I get on.Thanks for all the tips etc.
I like the look of the Mustad 39951NP.Will order some when reqd.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

These are what I use after trying various others Mustard Demon circle,ultra point size 5/0....ref 39951NP-RB

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”