A lost book

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mr B
Arctic Char

A lost book

Post by Mr B »

During a few moves one of my fishing books cannot be found.
I have forgotten the name of the book but would love to get another.
One of my favorite stories in it was about a battle with monster Barbel. For the last twenty five years I have wanted to fish the same spot or as near as I can get to it. Three meadows down from the French Horn at Sonning. A charming story.

I recently found some information on line on a good Barbel sight. It was almost quoting from the book.
It seems that Chris Yates must have read the book because thats were the info was from. I will copy the quote from the site and hope that there might be a member who knows the book I am after.

Mr B.

Reading through CY River Diaries he mentions many times of monster fish caught/lost 3 meadows down from Sonning.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Paul D

Re: A lost book

Post by Paul D »

I think a similar sounding story is in Chris's book "The river prince" I'll have a flick through my copy and see. :Hat:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Sounds very interesting. I often fish that stretch and have had a 13lb barbel, but have heard they go much bigger. My son also caught his first barbel there, two doubles in one night. I would also be interested in getting a copy of this mystery book. I haven't bothered fishing for barbel there for the last few years but thinking I might try this summer.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Yes, its sounds a grait spot, now and then... The story I think must have been set in the 30's if not befour? Mr yates would know. It was a long fight with the Barbel. How nice is that! They run big there! And your son too. Nice.
Is that streach private?
Yes, please do look it up in The Rver Prince, that sounds a good book too...thanks Paul and Santiago ( got to be a Hemingway fan)
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

That stretch is mainly private, but the names of the clubs escape me at the moment. However, there is a small public section that's free fishing, and it's right next to the car park of The French Horn and can cater for about six anglers at a push. This free spot is very popular with barbel anglers. And to be honest, the free section offers better fishing than further down stream that's controlled by clubs, where the three meadows are. Upstream of the French Horn towards the weir was controlled by Reading District AA but they lost it due to a change in land ownership, and is now no fishing from the bank, which are pretty high and dangerous anyways, and the fishing there was always unpredictable and is full of bleak.

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I wonder if it's a book by Hobb's, I suspect he use to fish in that area but can't be sure. Just ordered The River Prince, a belated birthday present to myself!

Hemingway

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

From memory It's in The Fishermans Bedside Book by BB.
Battle with a Giant Barbel by a Mr.Webb, who was a professional Thames fisherman
Best regards
Mem

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Jardine wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:43 am From memory It's in The Fishermans Bedside Book by BB.
Battle with a Giant Barbel by a Mr.Webb, who was a professional Thames fisherman
Best regards
Mem
Well found Sir :Hat: it's actually titled "A midnight battle with a monster barbel", page 161 in my copy.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Fantastic. I already have a copy, kindly given to me by fellow member Ted, LeaDweller.

Hemingway

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

How fortunate, by complete coincidence I've got a copy on the way to me.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”