Unknown Rod identification

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
LuckyLuca
Barbel

Unknown Rod identification

Post by LuckyLuca »

Hello gents,

At the suggestion of one of the members here I am after information regarding three rods I've recently acquired.

I hope to be able to take these rods out on the bank, but would like info as to what they are suitable for and what it will take to restore them (If its worth while)

No1 is labeled: Woodfields Avon Royal, 3pc about 12' long
No 2 is labeled: ?H Jarvis then what looks like a place name and Spa its about 15' long 4 pc
No3 is un-labeled 3pc with a choice of hex cane float top or glass/composite ledger top
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Unknown Rod identification

Post by Vole »

No 3 first; it's the cleanest bit of Spanish reed I've seen, very nice, but fragile. It's a very tip-actioned rod, for hitting bites quickly, and for small fish; the target species in those days would be roach up to about a pound and bream up to maybe 3lb.

No 2 is a very old ferruleless blank; I seem to remember a Jarvis becoming National champion in the late sixties, but I don't recall where he was from or if he ever gave his name to a float rod - which that is; it more or less directly supersedes no.3, but would be more robust.

No. 1 could be a bit of a gem - are both the top and middle built cane? If so, the Avon in question is probably the Hampshire one, and you've got a Nottingham-style rod - like the Wallis Wizard.
If only the tip is built cane, the Avon is probably the Warwickshire one, and it's another match/bottom rod, though beefier than no.3, able to cope with small carp, most chub, and medium-sized tench.

Quite a nice trio!

Restoration depends on what's wrong with them! Check for splits in the female joints of no.2; if none, she looks good to go, as does no.3. No 1 does seem to have a few non-standard whippings, but if the rings are sound, I'd suggest fishing with it to see how it behaves and base your plan on how much you like its action.

Cleaning up the handles with warm soapy water and a soft nail-brush always give a rod a bit of a lift, and costs nothing.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Thanks Vole, just had a quick look only the top section is hexagonal. Is this what you mean by built?

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Yes, otherwise known as "Split" cane. Oh,well, no jackpot, but it may well be a decent user.

I've just spotted that the long whipping near the bottom of the middle section of no.3 may be tape, and that rings a few warning bells - it may be hiding a split in the reed. Best remove that and have a look ... they're usually fixable, but a stitch in time...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I believe there was a "W Woodfield and Sons" in Redditch who also made fly reels

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/vintage-coll ... -reel.html
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Thanks again Vole. As you suspected there is a crack hidden under the extra whipping (Tape) What a shame! Still feels pretty sturdy so may be repairable.
Is it possible to date rods like these?
I'm really intrigued by the Jarvis rod. Will have to get a magnifying glass out and try to figure out the writing.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Thanks Ashbycut
Woodfield and sons of Redditch, I found a little about them on google but only that they made hooks too.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Number 2 could be out of the Milbro stable ... "A typical leger rod was the 10 1/2ft Milbro Jarvis which was used by the 1966 National Angling Champion Roy Jarvis."

http://www.magiscroft.com/forum/viewtop ... f=4&t=1432

Just a suggestion ... I'm NO expert.

The keepers look suspiciously like those in the catalogue on the Match Rods pages, though.

Interestingly, the catalogue in that link describes "built in fibre glass ferrules" ... which seems to fit in with your rod.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

A few more pictures of rod 2
Keeper ring

Writing on the Butt, looks less like Jarvis the more I look at it!

Lined Butt ring

Reel rings
Also noted that the male joints are filled with cork, or something similar?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Oddly enough I think that says "W H Norris. Leamington Spa."

You'll find more about him on this thread ... and ask Bob

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... ris#p17325

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”