Bad News about salmon

This forum is for discussing salmon.
Ian
Eel

Re: Bad News about salmon

Post by Ian »

an invasive species like zander has a place on the fish list of this forum and salmon comes under”other fishes”.
Maybe the first step in wild salmon conservation would be to at least highlight them on here and remember they are the king of fish.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Ian wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:58 am an invasive species like zander has a place on the fish list of this forum and salmon comes under”other fishes”.
Maybe the first step in wild salmon conservation would be to at least highlight them on here and remember they are the king of fish.
I agree, but Mark is the one you need to ask about that.

As to zander they're a non-native species (but so are carp and tench) but they've been around quite a while and have their niche in the ecology (and a chapter in Still Water Angling) and I think it's unrealistic to compare them (as the old British Waterways once did) to mink, American signal crayfish, giant hogweed, floating pennywort and Japanese knobweed.
Last edited by Stathamender on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Stathamender wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:04 pm
Reedling wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:38 pm Is it ok to eat tinned Pacific salmon from the supermarkets or is it a problem source as well?
Well, I wouldn't give you very much for Asda's future chances at the moment.... :Wink:
Other supermarkets are available of course, Sainsbury for example. I had a look on my Tesco tins and it is Pacific and wild etc. my wife would go into one if she couldn't have her Salmon salad that I make her when she comes home for lunch during the warmer weather. Mind you roll mop salad could be on the cards instead... yummy.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Tench an alien/introduced species? By whom and when?

Do we as anglers/conservationists set a date in time so any thing introduced after that date is an alien species?

No barbel in most of our rivers - no grayling north of the Border or Test, Itchen and most southern rivers - no mirror carp - no catfish - no brook trout - no grass carp - etc.

No Sika or Muntjac or Chinese Water deer or Fallow - no grey squirrels - American mink - where do we stop?

Not forgetting plants - insects! Plus birds relocating in this country - 3/4 species of the heron family in recent years.

The world has just lost a whole generation of penguins!

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Olly wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:29 am Tench an alien/introduced species? By whom and when?

Do we as anglers/conservationists set a date in time so any thing introduced after that date is an alien species?

No barbel in most of our rivers - no grayling north of the Border or Test, Itchen and most southern rivers - no mirror carp - no catfish - no brook trout - no grass carp - etc.

No Sika or Muntjac or Chinese Water deer or Fallow - no grey squirrels - American mink - where do we stop?

Not forgetting plants - insects! Plus birds relocating in this country - 3/4 species of the heron family in recent years.

I read about the demise of the penguins,very sad.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Ian wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:35 am
Olly wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:29 am Tench an alien/introduced species? By whom and when?

I read about the demise of the penguins,very sad.
Penguins coming off the shelf! I have only just got used to a name change to Snickers.. what am I to do. :rant:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

With respect to alien species, we should be pragmatic and just try to counteract those that are destructive and don't fit well within their habitat, either because they have no natural predators or have excessive growth rates, be they plants or animals. After all, the ea has a limited budget to address this issue.

And the time of arrival is pretty irrelevant. Rabbits for example, are alien and now thought to have been imported by the Romans, yet they're still considered a pest and their numbers are heavily controlled for obvious reasons. Whereas deer date back to the last ice age, and they're also controlled, but that's because we exterminated the wolves, their only natural predator, not including man. It therefore appears that the more we meddle the worse things become for our natives, be that importing aliens or irradicating natives! So best irradicate alien's where we can or at least control their number's.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Don't forget the Little Owl.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Only 2 species of deer are "natural" - red & roe. The others are aliens.

Problems - where does it stop??

Monk Parakeets are now a 'nuisance species' along with Ring-necked ones!

Farmed Salmon eggs/fry helped with the survival of Tyne salmon. Needs to be done elsewhere as well.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Another piece on this from today's Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -happening.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Salmon (Salmo salar)”