Is it a Martin James?

The Martin James Rods forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Is it a Martin James?

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I have a rod reserved which comes with a Martin James bag. There are no identifying marks on the rod to authenticate it however.
It is the lightest cane rod I have ever waggled.
I am guessing the butt is Spanish reed and is painted black. The rod is approx 10ft may be 10' 6" and is in two sections. The top is whole cane with a spliced in split cane tip.
Does this ring any bells with anyone?
I will probably buy it even if the maker can't be confirmed as it felt good in the hand and will be a good rod to keep at my friends lake which doesn't have any fish over 2 lb......as far as we know!
Thanks for looking :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Is it a Martin James?

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

To update my previous post, I bought the rod and photographed it in the hope that someone may recognise it?ImageImageImageImageImageImage
The rod is a two piece and measures 11 ft in length.
It had 5 intermediate rings originally (one is missing) and a lined tip and butt ring, the tip ring looks to be a replacement.
The whippings seem to have been painted over with black paint as is the lower part of the butt section, maybe there's a repair under the paint?
Thanks for looking chaps and hope someone can shed some light. :Hat:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Judging by how easy that paint seems to be coming off I would look for a label shape under the paint by the handle and give it a gentle scrape with the back of a knife if found. Go easy though.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Reedling wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:35 am Judging by how easy that paint seems to be coming off I would look for a label shape under the paint by the handle and give it a gentle scrape with the back of a knife if found. Go easy though.
Yes, I thought the same and will have a go tonight. I will update accordingly :Hat:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Reedling wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:35 am Judging by how easy that paint seems to be coming off I would look for a label shape under the paint by the handle and give it a gentle scrape with the back of a knife if found. Go easy though.
Careful scraping with a razor blade has revealed a Martin James label :Thumb:
The intermediate and node whippings under the black paint are a bright turquoise colour, the ring whippings are black. I think I will restore the rod using these colours which I think are the originals.
So, mystery solved!

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Brilliant :Thumb: and I hope the restoration all goes to plan and causes you few problems. :Hat:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Chaps, one last question about this rod then I promise to shut up about it :Scared:
I have identified the rod as a Martin James "the Victor" However whist there is a Martin James label on the rod there is no script relating to the model.
Was this the norm I wonder or has the model ref been removed at some point?
If it should be there I would like to put it back but need to know the script style and placement. I wondered if any one could provide a photo of how MJ did this, if at all.
Thanks again :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Jeremy, I have seen a lot of Martin James rods with nothing but the makers gold oval label on them. Some more modern versions have a Union flag and lots more info on them.

Now shut up and get on with sorting it out.

Wal.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:08 am Jeremy, I have seen a lot of Martin James rods with nothing but the makers gold oval label on them. Some more modern versions have a Union flag and lots more info on them.

Wal.
Ok Master, will do...... :Scared:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:36 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:08 am Jeremy, I have seen a lot of Martin James rods with nothing but the makers gold oval label on them. Some more modern versions have a Union flag and lots more info on them.

Wal.
Ok Master, will do...... :Scared:
I should think so too, bloody apprentices, they spend more time playing with their phones than they do working. I don't know what the world is coming too.

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”