The Humble Kettle and Tea Pot collection

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

The Humble Kettle and Tea Pot collection

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Just posted something in the Kelly Kettle section then decided it possibly warranted a thread of its own.

Above are my angling teapots, always mean't to get my winter pot on the left a 'Jack Hilton Hat' cosy made for it but then thought it would be lost on most anglers to-day and I would be forever explaining that 'No I'm not a football fan'.

My tea pots seem a little soul less to me at the side of my Trangia and Kelly Kettle.

I purchased my Trangia in the early 80's and it has travelled to so many different places with me now and remains the longest 'constantly used' item of tackle I own.

Obviously I have much older gear but nothing which has accompanied me week in week out for 30 odd years.

Made a lot of cuppas for some very well known characters has that kettle.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: The Humble Kettle and Tea Pot collection

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

That, my friend, is just how a kettle SHOULD look, well-travelled and with more than a few stories to tell...

Incidentally, I am quite proud of my Jack Hilton tea cosy.

SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I like that - could be a case of getting someone on the chop sticks after all - or whatever they call them knitting sticks :-)

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

For solo use I have a trangia kettle which I use as a teapot as well or for larger groups a green enamel teapot.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Laurel had Hardy,Morecombe had Wise...er..Keith Harris had Orville,all trusty sidekicks.
I have been angling for more years than I care to remember.Rods,reels,even fishing methods have come and gone.The people I fished with have come in and out of my life.Pastures new arrive and I find myself on different venues,all in the pursuit of that 'special' capture.Like the seasons of the year,this pastime of ours changes gradually day by day.
However,throughout all of this,there has been one ever-present,my kettle Steve.There have of course been pretenders,he has a rival,Kelly.
Why Steve? Well it started off many years back when Nottingham Forest had a somewhat mediocre player named Steve Chettle,his name lent itself grandly to 'Mockney' rhyming slang for 'kettle'..the rest is history.
He carries many a scar from past battles,not least, the time when he was knocked clean off the stove by a cracked-off 4oz lead that arrived briskly from the other side of the lake! There was also the time that he was washed out of the bivvy by a torrent of water following a massive Summertime electrical storm and was retrieved sometime later 30 feet away.
He's old,battered and bruised (since this photo was taken he has lost his whistle),he even dribbles a bit, but even though I have been lured by the delights of Stainless Steel,Gunmetal Grey etc.,he's going nowhere.
Raise a grubby tin or thermal mug to my mate Steve.

SK...Apologies for being a pedantic 'so and so', but I think JH's bobble hat was green and white.. :shocked: :roll: :)

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Gurn wrote:Image
Laurel had Hardy,Morecombe had Wise...er..Keith Harris had Orville,all trusty sidekicks.
I have been angling for more years than I care to remember.Rods,reels,even fishing methods have come and gone.The people I fished with have come in and out of my life.Pastures new arrive and I find myself on different venues,all in the pursuit of that 'special' capture.Like the seasons of the year,this pastime of ours changes gradually day by day.
However,throughout all of this,there has been one ever-present,my kettle Steve.There have of course been pretenders,he has a rival,Kelly.
Why Steve? Well it started off many years back when Nottingham Forest had a somewhat mediocre player named Steve Chettle,his name lent itself grandly to 'Mockney' rhyming slang for 'kettle'..the rest is history.
He carries many a scar from past battles,not least, the time when he was knocked clean off the stove by a cracked-off 4oz lead that arrived briskly from the other side of the lake! There was also the time that he was washed out of the bivvy by a torrent of water following a massive Summertime electrical storm and was retrieved sometime later 30 feet away.
He's old,battered and bruised (since this photo was taken he has lost his whistle),he even dribbles a bit, but even though I have been lured by the delights of Stainless Steel,Gunmetal Grey etc.,he's going nowhere.
Raise a grubby tin or thermal mug to my mate Steve.

SK...Apologies for being a pedantic 'so and so', but I think JH's bobble hat was green and white.. :shocked: :roll: :)
Lovely kettle memories and hopefully the start of a few more kettle stories.

I'd always had it in my head Jack's hat was blue and white. I wonder if Keith (his son) still has it?

I must ask him - it would be great if it still exists.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Poxy black and white pictures!!!

I always though it to be blue and white.....perhaps someone can enlighten us.

And if you appear to be right Gurn, you can knit me a green one!!!! :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

I hope I'm bloody right. I got my nutty knitty Mum to knit one for my Redmire trip. :thumb:

(The above photo was kindly sourced by Weyfarer after I put out an appeal on TPBTW some time back.)
Last edited by Gurn on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Too many stripes on your kettle hat SK! :sarcasm:

That cover shot certainly looks green. I'll happily hold my hands up and say I have been wrong for years. Always thought it was blue.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

I sit corrected, may I place an order with your knitty Mum gurn?
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”