Wallis casting as lockdown skill

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Wallis casting as lockdown skill

Post by Snape »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:30 pm
Luga00 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:36 pm I've always had no problem Wallis casting a ledgered weight, but struggle with casting a float in the same way. I usually revert to a Nottingham cast when trotting or lake float fishing.
Russ
Yes I found that too Russ. A weight of around 1/2 ounce or more gives the rod a bit of loading and helps greatly. I think a very light float with little shot needs a very light actioned rod.

I believe it was John Wilson who came up with the idea of fitting an extra butt ring close to the original one which gave the angler the opportunity of adding another loop for extra distance when needed. It does work but it's not seen very often these days.

Wal.

Wal.
From what I have been told you need a bigger float that takes around 4AAA shots and they should be bulked.
I think it also then helps by holding the shot in the left hand and loading the rod tip which isn't necessary with a heavier ledger weight.
As for the extra loop when Nottingham casting, I get 3 loops by pulling the 2 conventional ones from the first two rings and then pull a third straight off the reel and so am holding 3 loops in my left hand and brake the reel with my right thumb. An underarm swing and carefully releasing the loops in the correct order results in a cast of about 15 yards.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Like you Luga00 I did the same for decades until I had proper instruction. Rather than post a load of my waffle on here I'll start another thread

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I don't think that the Nottingham Style of casting involves pulling loops of line from the rings. I have been reading old editions of The Fishing Gazette lately and from what I gather the Nottingham Style of casting is what we now call the Swing Cast in that you cast directly from the reel but swing the rod from the side, not the front as in the Wallis Cast. This is how they used to cast for competitions too until someone devised the overhead cast to make the cast more accurate and therefore save precious inches in the measured distance.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Snape wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:08 pm
Luga00 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:36 pm I've always had no problem Wallis casting a ledgered weight, but struggle with casting a float in the same way. I usually revert to a Nottingham cast when trotting or lake float fishing.
Russ
Yes I found that too Russ. A weight of around 1/2 ounce or more gives the rod a bit of loading and helps greatly. I think a very light float with little shot needs a very light actioned rod.

I believe it was John Wilson who came up with the idea of fitting an extra butt ring close to the original one which gave the angler the opportunity of adding another loop for extra distance when needed. It does work but it's not seen very often these days.

Wal.

Wal.
From what I have been told you need a bigger float that takes around 4AAA shots and they should be bulked.
I think it also then helps by holding the shot in the left hand and loading the rod tip which isn't necessary with a heavier ledger weight.
As for the extra loop when Nottingham casting, I get 3 loops by pulling the 2 conventional ones from the first two rings and then pull a third straight off the reel and so am holding 3 loops in my left hand and brake the reel with my right thumb. An underarm swing and carefully releasing the loops in the correct order results in a cast of about 15 yards.
That's just about my limit too Nigel and yes a big float makes a big difference. There is no doubt if you can master the Wallis cast it will pay dividends in the long run and there has never been a better opportunity to practice.

Wal.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:34 pm
Snape wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:08 pm
Russ

Wal.

Wal.
That's just about my limit too Nigel and yes a big float makes a big difference. There is no doubt if you can master the Wallis cast it will pay dividends in the long run and there has never been a better opportunity to practice.

Wal.
Very good points, thanks gents. I use a very light float setup (typically, no more than 2AAA) so the Wallis cast doesn't work for me. I did try fixing an extra ring nearer the handle (John Wilson style, as you say, Wal) but in the end I found two loops pretty much gets me the length of cast I want in 99% of cases.
Well done for persevering, Nigel. It is definitely another skill in the armory!
Russ

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

What you need Luga00 is the Sheffield cast. That was used by Sheffield match men for casting ultra light floats across the Lincolnshire drains. It is basically the same as fly-casting. The extra rings on float roads were offered as an optional extra back in the 1960's.

It is a shame that Flightliner doesn't participate on here any more. He knew a thing or two about home made centrepins and the methods used by local match anglers around the Sheffield area.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The "extra" ring(s) nearer the reel were added long before I was fishing in the '60s! Late 1950's was when the carp/spinning rod style of ringing was taking place as seen in the B James rods.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Wallis Casting Made Easy (I hope)

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:20 pm Wallis Casting Made Easy (I hope)
What an excellent video. Well done and many thanks, Clive. :Hat: :clap:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Barbellina
Roach

Post by Barbellina »

Many thanks for that Clive, can’t wait to get out into the garden tomorrow and give it a try. That is if it warms up a bit. As we say in cycling, Chapeau Clive!
"Angling is a refuge from competitiveness, from rat-racing, from status-seeking. So let it remain."
Bernard Venables

Return to “Wallis Casting”