D.A.M. Quick Bale-Arms

The DAM Reels forum.
Mitch300
Roach

D.A.M. Quick Bale-Arms

Post by Mitch300 »

After reading the glowing reviews of the D.A.M. Quick reels here, I picked up a beautiful 330N as an occasional alternative to my Mitchells and ABU Cardinals, just to see what all the fuss was about. It was also a selfless attempt to add a modest stimulus to the economy.

I have one question for our resident experts: should the bale-arm roller rotate, or is it a fixed hardened surface over which the line slips?

G. B.

Cat
Chub

Re: D.A.M. Quick Bale-Arms

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Indeed a selfless act, and great well made reels. The rollers don't roll (well they don't on any of my 330's!)
Enjoy.
Regards Cat

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Mine don't roll either.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

No, they don't roll.
If they show any grooves, you just have to loosen the nut and rotate the roller to better position.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

...what Martin says!
I think I'll suggest to my wife the need to commit some similar selfless acts in order to reignite the economy.

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Thank you, gentlemen.

With all the money saved on penetrating oil (I thought it might have been a frozen roller) by this excellent advice, there may have to be a second round of stimulus spending---maybe on a nice 220? Someone's got to get this economy back up and running!
Tight Lines,
G. B.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

I've got a 220, that I don't need, but sending it to the US would cost a fortune at the moment. :doh:
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
220's are reasonably common in the US...indeed I picked up some spares for mine from over the pond. Obviously not as common as in Germany. Again, nice durable reels that spares are available for unlike some of my more exotic favourites. Another cracking reel to keep an eye out for in the US is a Sup Magic 707 or 606 - the 707 is 2 speed. Made in France until around 68, and imported by South Bend. Absolutely magnificent! I think I own 6 or 7 users, and, along with my 330's, are my go-to carping reels.
Regards Cat

Bilch
Stickleback

Post by Bilch »

Congratulations to the reel. With good maintenance it will do its job for another 50 years :Thumb:

It is a mystery to me, why DAM built their premium reels with non-rotating line rollers. Quick super (built from 1954 to 1968) had one, but all other reels built at the same time or later had a non-rotating roller. The rotating line roller wasn’t reintroduced until 1978 with the Quick 1000-5000 series.

The good thing is, that DAM made their line rollers of Tungsten Carbide, which is three times more rigid than steel and almost as hard as diamond. So, there is no need to worry about the line wearing it off (I would still rather not use a braided line though) :)
So long, and thanks for all the fish

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Bilch wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:31 pm

The good thing is, that DAM made their line rollers of Tungsten Carbide, which is three times more rigid than steel and almost as hard as diamond. So, there is no need to worry about the line wearing it off (I would still rather not use a braided line though) :)
I've seen a couple of reels of the DAM Quick 110-550 series with heavily grooved line rollers. :Confused:
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Return to “DAM Reels”