Brook trout

General fly fishing chat area.
Catfish.017
Eel

Brook trout

Post by Catfish.017 »

I was watching one of Matt Hayes 'Fishing Tales' videos yesterday. Brook trout were the quarry and some beautiful specimens were caught. It was then that an odd fact occurred to me. My Dad was a non angler, no interest whatsoever. But on a trip to Canada visiting relatives, 'Uncle' Walter took him fishing one day and he caught a Brook Trout. So my Dad goes fishing once in his lifetime and catches a fish I've never caught. It just struck me as an absurd oddity although obviously I've never had the opportunity to catch one. Perhaps I should follow in his footsteps to tie up loose ends?

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Brook trout

Post by Olly »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... river.html

Just found this whilst looking for places in UK where Brook trout are stocked.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Olly wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:53 am https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... river.html

Just found this whilst looking for places in UK where Brook trout are stocked.
Maybe I won't need to travel too far after all!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Aren't brook trout the same as char? If so they can be caught in the lake district. I'm sure Scott has posted on them in the past.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Not quite the same as our Arctic char but same family -salvelinus. They have been stocked for a long time in UK waters and they have established self sustaining populations in at least two Highland lochs that I know of. I worked at a fishery back in the 90s where they also bred in the spring fed loch, and the associated farm crossed them to create tiger and leopard hybrids. Not something I would be associated with in these more enlightened days!
Fantastic species to catch in their native environs, like trout they will run to the sea and return to their natal system to spawn. Beautiful fish!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Obviously - ? - a cold water species. Even our native Char - Lake District - like deep cold water.
Found this:- http://flyandlure.org/articles/fly_fish ... rctic_char

340 waters! 20 species.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Very pretty fish and very good to eat so I've been told although I've never tried one. I've caught them up to 2lb 11oz.

A bigger fish

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Brook trout, or what we like to call Brookies, are all over the Rocky Mountain Region. They will over populate quickly forcing out other fish like our cutthroat trout.

A non native fish to Colorado and I have to wonder why they don't up the bag limit on them since they reproduce so well.

They are an aggressive fish and will take a dry fly sometimes with more aggression than any other cold water fish I have seen. I have had them come completely out of the water taking a dry fly, and its always exciting to see.

In the Autumn when they spawn, generally in late Oct. they are one of the most beautiful colorful trout I have ever seen with their dark backing with gold, red and purple spots.

So if you can get to a place that has them, go for it, because they can keep you busy catching them all day if the conditions are right.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Iasgair wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:55 pm Brook trout, or what we like to call Brookies, are all over the Rocky Mountain Region. They will over populate quickly forcing out other fish like our cutthroat trout.

A non native fish to Colorado and I have to wonder why they don't up the bag limit on them since they reproduce so well.

They are an aggressive fish and will take a dry fly sometimes with more aggression than any other cold water fish I have seen. I have had them come completely out of the water taking a dry fly, and its always exciting to see.

In the Autumn when they spawn, generally in late Oct. they are one of the most beautiful colorful trout I have ever seen with their dark backing with gold, red and purple spots.

So if you can get to a place that has them, go for it, because they can keep you busy catching them all day if the conditions are right.
That aggressive trait was certainly borne out in the video I watched. They were using, well I hesitate to call it a fly as it looked more like a shaving brush in all honesty, a lure then which they fished as we might fish a 'wake' lure for Sea Trout at night.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

I've just caught one today. They're stocked in some rivers around here. It's my second ever brook trout. This one took a lure. The first one, which was much bigger, took a nymph.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Return to “General Fly Chat”