Rebuild of my Sharpe Avon - questions

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Rebuild of my Sharpe Avon - questions

Post by Olly »

Ring spacing;-
25in Butt - 35cm - butt ring - 30cm - second ring - 25cm - ferrule. Cork butt - 22.2mm = 0.87inch diameter.

Tip - 17cm - ring - 21cm(38cm) - ring - 22.5cm(60.5cm) - ring - 25.5cm(86cm) - ring - 26.3cm(112.3cm) - ring - 26.7cm(139cm) - ring - 12.5cm - ferrule end.

Hope that helps.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The rings are weird and seem to be not available now. Wal has there name!

Not High Bells though - but higher than low bells!

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Sharpes used a pattern that I've not seen used elsewhere that were straight legged.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Olly wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:41 pm Ring spacing;-
25in Butt - 35cm - butt ring - 30cm - second ring - 25cm - ferrule. Cork butt - 22.2mm = 0.87inch diameter.
Tip - 17cm - ring - 21cm(38cm) - ring - 22.5cm(60.5cm) - ring - 25.5cm(86cm) - ring - 26.3cm(112.3cm) - ring - 26.7cm(139cm) - ring - 12.5cm - ferrule end.
Hope that helps.
Thanks Olly - you are a star.

I've applied my daytime job skills to the question of ring spacing, and created an Excel table and chart that allows you to select rod length, number of rings and your desired position of butt ring, and then "draw" the curve you want, which should mirror the action of your rod. When I've finished it properly, I can make it available to members via PM if you wish. When done like this, it's amazing how much difference even 10mm here or there makes to the curve.

The results go a long way towards explaining the big gap between 7th and 8th rings (from tip) with the butt ring being number 9. With my butt ring 2 metres from the tip (which looks about right) the 8th ring would be at 1601mm, which puts it right on top of the ferrule - so that's not an option. I therefore tried keying in a butt ring position of 2050mm, which puts ring #8 at 1641, which is about as close to the ferrule as you get get - but it would look wrong on a cane rod. So I decided ring #8 needs to be at about 1680mm, which puts the butt ring at 2.1m, which looks OK on this particular rod.

And when I held the rod up to the light, what did I see at 2.1m? The faintest tell-tale marks of where a butt ring once was - opposite the red dots. So that puts a new light - literally, in this case - on the whole issue of my tip curve saying I should have the red dots uppermost. Now the butt section seems to agree.
My biggest fish is not necessarily my best

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Finally took some pictures...
Overview.JPG
I think this is going to have to go.
Butt.JPG
I like fishing the swing-tip, so chose a suitable threaded tip ring, and a lovely looking butt ring courtesy of Mr Tengisgol. The rings were quite a motley selection, so I'm replacing the lot with these plus High Bells throughout. Don't worry, that's not my normal standard of whipping - just wanted to get a colour match. (I've since got some proper garnet.)
Tip butt rings.JPG
I'm not absolutely certain that mine is the impregnated version - hopefully the good members of this forum will be able to tell me. The previous (incorrectly spaced) whippings have left their tell-tale light bands. I'm puzzled as to how they are lighter than the rest of the blank - with most things, it's the bit exposed to the sunlight that fades, not the bit hidden from it. Is there a recommended way to restore an even colour, please? I tried my gunstock oil, but to no avail.
Blank 1.JPG
Blank 2.JPG
Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NorfolkTinca on Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Every good rod needs a reel, of course. This one came with box and original paperwork - very nice!

I told you the reel fittings were a bit tight... :Confused:
IMG_1046.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

It looks like impregnated cane to me.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Beresford wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:53 pm It looks like impregnated cane to me.
Thank you. The finish is so smooth that whatever it is, I'm going to leave well alone.

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

NorfolkTinca wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:33 pm
Beresford wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:53 pm It looks like impregnated cane to me.
Thank you. The finish is so smooth that whatever it is, I'm going to leave well alone.
I agree it looks impregnated to my very untrained eye, am I right in thinking that impregnated rods weren't varnished as there was no need as they would never rot, but the rods that weren't impregnated were varnished, cos that blank doesn't look like it ever seen a coat of varnish.

Lovely rod NT I'm really becoming a big fan of these Sharpes rod absolutely gorgeous. :drool: :drool:

Regards GB

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Thanks again. I know mine will never be original, but that's what I wanted before buying it - a good basis for me to build to my own requirements. Since then, I have found out they only made 400 of these, which is an added consideration, but the handle was done before I bought it, and the rings were wrong anyway. The overriding priority in my mind is to make it better than it was when I bought it, with sympathy to the general style of the original, but not adhering to it to the letter.

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”