New member introduction

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Horsegudgeon
Stickleback

New member introduction

Post by Horsegudgeon »

So, some lines of introduction after being allowed to join the forum. My name is Richard, I’m 65, still working full-time and live in North East London. I first went fishing when I was about 11, taken by a friend to fish in the lakes at Priory Park in Southend. I’m always envious of people who had some sort of Damascene moment when they caught their first fish or at the experience of fishing for the first time, because I didn’t! Nor did I have an angling father, or any angling relatives that I knew. More envy... To be honest, I don’t really remember very much about those early days as an angler, or if I actually caught anything at all. The lakes at the time, from my recollection, seemed to contain only very small roach and a few carp, which you’d sometimes see basking on the surface against the island, well out of reach of our limited skills. The lakes were actually the old monastic fish ponds for the Priory and I have sometimes wondered since if those elusive carp we saw were direct descendents of the medieval fish. We never caught one, or saw one caught, despite wading across to the island and risking the wrath of the parkie a few times.

Anyway. However things were in those first days, something must have hooked me, because I was soon the owner, courtesy of my non fishing father, of my own rod and reel, 6 feet of tank aerial with a short green wooden butt and an Intrepid Tru-Spin, neither of which I look back on with any nostalgia! The reel, handleless, I still have, somewhere among the mass of tackle accumulated over the decades.

A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since those days but angling and the bug to go a-fishing has remained, despite two or three longish breaks from it. Even when I didn’t go, I still couldn’t pass up any opportunity to peer into the depths of the dark waters when they presented themselves and wonder...

My fishing has changed several times over the years. First match angling, then a limited amount of sea fishing when I lived on the coast, then fishing for whatever swam in the canals and rivers when I moved inland again, always with a float. About 25 years ago, barbel came into my life, and that’s where I still am.

The appeal of fishing for me is about much more than just catching fish though, it’s about being out in the countryside surrounded by nature, preferably a river, with a chance of catching a barbel or two. I don’t know how much of a traditional angler I am, to be honest, though things are changing for me, which has lead me to this forum. I’ve recently acquired a couple of cane rods to refurbish and use, to go with the pins I’ve had for while, because I’ve never used a cane rod and using something I’ve returned to use myself has a great appeal. It was only supposed to be one to start with, but I’m sure I don’t have to tell many people here about the addictive qualities of old tackle! Even now, I’m having to sit on my hands not to get more! I’ve repaired and refurbished rods in other materials, so some of it isn’t totally new to me and I think I’m reasonably good with my hands, something I can thank my cabinet maker father for, amongst many other things. My ideal would be to build rods myself from scratch, but that will have to wait until I have more time I think, or I come to my senses.

So, that’s sort of me then. I’m looking forward to being a member here, contributing where I can and no doubt picking people’s brains a bit.
Thanks for letting me join.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: New member introduction

Post by Lea Dweller »

Welcome to the forum! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

A super intro Sir! - and YES! once the cane has whipped you it always leaves its mark :Happy:

Welcome to the TFF.

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

Welcome to TFF Richard, great introduction.

Tom
Rudd

Post by Tom »

WELCOME!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Richard.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Welcome
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Pull up a pew, pour a favourite tipple and enjoy the banter :cheers:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »