Pezon et Michel fly rod

General fly fishing chat area.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Pezon et Michel fly rod

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I have been given a Pezon et Michel fly rod for restoration. It is a Flyxor 9' two piece 6/7 weight made on 28 April 1940 (they continued production during the war) but is clearly not suited to a 6 weight line.

I read somewhere that the line weight quoted by Pezon et Michel is for a silk line but I find that hard to believe because the AFTM line weight classification is modern, certainly invented well after 1940. However, the rod was in production until 1970 so this could be correct.

Does anyone have this rod ? Alternatively, can anyone tell me the equivalent weight for a modern plastic line ? I can't try it out because it has no rings !

Can any of out French members shed some light ? :Hat:

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Pezon et Michel fly rod

Post by Liphook »

Nigel is it marked '#6/7' and does that look original ? If so are you sure of its age? Having no rings how do you know it won't cast a 6 or 7? Some sort of deflection test like the CCS perhaps? Last question would be how come the French were making rods instead of fighting the Nazis?

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

The rod number tells me that it was the 23 rod made on 28 April 1940, the line weight is not marked on the rod. It was made at the Amboise factory where they had a mechanised production line, it was their most basic model. An internet search gave me the decoding of the rod number and it's weight as #6/7 according to Pezon et Michel.

However, it is a very delicate rod and may have suited #6/7 in silk but it definitely won't handle a modern #6 plastic line. Similar cane rods that I have used are well suited to a #4.

I can't imagine how Pezon et Michel continued through WWII but my background reading confirms that they did ! Asking for help on the bamboo rod forum didn't get a response, it's mainly about American rods.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

In the 40s silk lines wouldn't have been defined numerically and of course a 6 is just that, irrespective of material, within the grain windows of the AFTMA rating system. I'm no expert on P+M but somewhere I have a file with a fair amount of information on them. I will look for it this evening. In the meantime perhaps someone like Bobby Marlene might see this and have answers?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I know nothing of fly rods but history is a different matter. Germany didn’t invade France until 10th May 1940. The 8 months between the invasion of Poland and the invasion of France is often referred to as The Phoney War by historians because so little fighting actually took place and, although preparations for war continued on all sides, much of life went on pretty much as normal in unoccupied Europe and the UK.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I was reacting to the statement "continued production during the War" but thanks for the history lesson Dave :roll:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Duckett,

Excellent, that explains it. Although I would have thought producing fly rods on the eve of invasion was a little odd.

Liphook,

Thank you :-)

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I've sent you an email of the catalogue I have on this phone Nigel. I will endeavour to search out the other paper files tonight :Hat:

Edit - interesting to note that P&M don't give the line ratings of any of their trout fly rods in the 1973 catalogue. Seems strange?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:12 pm Duckett,

Excellent, that explains it. Although I would have thought producing fly rods on the eve of invasion was a little odd.

Liphook,

Thank you :-)
My recollection is that the French expected the Germans to hurl themselves against the Maginot Line and die in their thousands trying. As history tells, the Germans went round and through it! I spent some time visiting it a few years ago and it’s hugely impressive pieces of engineering ...... with huge gaps between the pieces and at either end!

Did Hardy not continue some manufacturing of tackle during the war? Given what my Grandad (NCO, Grenadier Guards) told me of the officer classes, I wouldn’t be surprised if they continued buying high end fly rods during the war.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Re the query about line weight for a bamboo / cane rod.

Found this on bamboopursuits.com

Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Return to “General Fly Chat”