Strange but True

This forum is for discussing barbel.
TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Strange but True

Post by TemeLAD »

Joined on the river bank by a Red Admiral - the 2nd time in two consecutive visits to the river Severn (same stretch different swim). Both times I caught a barbel within minutes - strange but true.

Even stranger is the fact that today it flew off and returned 3 more times to rest on my hand or clothing a total of 4 times - and I caught 4 barbel (losing a 5th fish to a hook pull - suspect it was foul hooked, rare for a hook hold in a barbel to pull free!).

Rather pleased with the shot - taken on a Panasonic Lumix G1 - left handed, no mean feat given the button to take the shot is on the right of the camera.
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Strange but True

Post by Mark »

Nice shot TemeLad. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Very odd coincidence and a very nice photo :thumb:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

How strange.
The 'kingfisher effect'

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

An intriguing tale Temelad whereas I found a newly emerged small tortoiseshell by the river yesterday, I put it into a position where it could inflate its wings and hopefully get warm but I doubt that it made it, it was cloudy with a cool wind. It was the portent of an ignominious blank.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Interesting tale Temelad! Whenever I find bites are a hard a coming I simply put my rod on a rest, unwrap my packed lunch, pour coffee from my Thermos, start to eat, and hey presto my float will disappear or my quiver tip will be pulled around!! And it works every time!!! Much easier and quicker than waiting for butterflies to land on my hands.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Firing up the Kelly Kettle, reaching for food, being distracted by the wildlife, watching Perch chase fry in the margins - inevitably lead to a bite. A butterfly made a nice change :)
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I like it.... :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

The only butterflies I ever get when I'm fishing are the ones in my tummy when I'm barbel fishing and the line bites start as a prelude to the tip being pulled around.

A few weeks ago I had dragonflies landing on a sensitive homemade float; they were a real pest since the float kept on being submerged by them!!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

i find losing constration often works yesterday my rod was almost pulled in by a barbel when i was looking at birds

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”