Martin James Leam Delux 10'.

The Martin James Rods forum.
Cat
Chub

Martin James Leam Delux 10'.

Post by Cat »

Morning All,
May I highly recommend the above rod for carp (originally built for Salmon spinning I believe). Powerful, yet good through action with the ability to cast light baits. Nice long handle (if you like that), agate throughout, twist lock brass ferrules. I renovated one over lockdown and have been fishing with it since season start. A joy to use.
Regards Cat

OCM1
Stickleback

Re: Martin James Leam Delux 10'.

Post by OCM1 »

Aren't they superb Cat, I have a brace of them in regular use. Perfect for tougher swims. I hadn't realised they were designed for salmon spinning, makes sense now. Agate throughout as you say, real quality
I can strongly endorse also the Allcocks "Easicast "10 footers. I 've had mine since the late 60's. Ideal for very snaggy carp waters and piking. To me they're fit the bill between the MkIV and Chapman 700.
Best regards, OCM

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks OCM...another in the same league is Falcon's 'The Monarch'.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I saw a Martin James Leam for sale last year and was tempted, possibly the one that you bought BB? The reason for my interest was that the town I was brought up was Leamington Spa, named after the River Leam that runs through it. I made some enquiries and found that it was probably named after Mortons Leam and not mine so I declined.
It sounds like I may have missed out on a belter.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Bob Brookes wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:57 pm I saw a Martin James Leam for sale last year and was tempted, possibly the one that you bought BB? The reason for my interest was that the town I was brought up was Leamington Spa, named after the River Leam that runs through it. I made some enquiries and found that it was probably named after Mortons Leam and not mine so I declined.
It sounds like I may have missed out on a belter.
If it was named after Morton’s Leam it was probably a pike rod rather than for one for salmon.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

I believe there's a post under 'Martin James Catalogue' highlighting the Leam (Salmon spinning) rod somewhere on here, courtesy or Ashbycut.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Cat wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:09 pm I believe there's a post under 'Martin James Catalogue' highlighting the Leam (Salmon spinning) rod somewhere on here, courtesy or Ashbycut.
I stand corrected. There are no salmon up the Warwickshire Leam, so at least I got that right!😉

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi Bob,
I'm sure it world make a half decent pike rod too (and barbel rod, come to think of it). Can't comment on the salmon in the Leam....perhaps a couple of hundred years ago?
Cat

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Cat wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:09 pm I believe there's a post under 'Martin James Catalogue' highlighting the Leam (Salmon spinning) rod somewhere on here, courtesy or Ashbycut.
Not I, Sir ... The thread was started by Beresford, and the photos (the first one shows the "Leam" were posted by Pondlife ... here :-

viewtopic.php?f=400&t=24490&p=380964&hi ... ue#p380964
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I suppose it could have been named after ‘my’ Leam, after all as there was some good pike fishing way back when.

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”