A day on the Vrain

General fly fishing chat area.
Iasgair
Chub

A day on the Vrain

Post by Iasgair »

Last Sunday I headed out to fish, no secret, it's what we do here on the forum, is fish. It's been awhile since I fished the Middle Saint Vrain, so I drove up to the Peak to Peak Highway and went to Camp Dick just to find one hundred million other people there camping and hiking, plus not to mention all the Jeeps in line getting their tires deflated for the drive. Camp Dick has a 4x4 road that jeep owners love to drive on. There must have been 30 to 40 jeeps being prepared for the road. I on the other hand, in my GMC pick-up truck turned right around and left the area because there wasn't any place for me to park my beast of a vehicle without it causing some kind of problem. I figured the Middle Saint Vrain was better to visit during a week day while most people have to work. So this story will have to wait for another day.

So instead, I headed back down the canyon along the South Saint Vrain and found a spot in the middle of the canyon to pull over and begin fishing. I carefully chose what I thought would do the trick as in my fly selection, an ant, and I walked down to the creek and looked the water over carefully. Nothing was rising, but that didn't worry me because in this creek you rarely ever see anything rise because the fish are wary of birds of prey that fly over head, so they stay down unless by chance a good looking morsel of food comes floating by that's good enough to get them to rise.

The water was moving fast due to the gradient of the creek, and so I found a section of calmer water near the edge of the main current and the boulders on the bank. I cast the ant upstream and gently lifted the rod tip while making figure eights in my left hand with the line while the ant was floating quite nicely down towards me. A rise! But it was also a miss. From what I saw it looked to be a very decent brown trout as it showed it's back to me as it went for the fly. I waited a few minutes and then cast my offering to the same spot. Once again the fish arose but refusing to take. I tried again and again, but that fish was no longer interested. I then decided to change flies, a fly that usually does very well, a parachute Adams. After about 20 minutes, I realized I was wasting my time with this dry fly technique. I even tried the Renegade, but to no avail. Time for a line change ( hockey term ).

I took the dry fly off and grabbed my box of wet flies. I came up with a fly earlier this year I call Gingerbread, and so far this fly has not let me down. On the thorax of the fly I have some D.W. Prism in a brown olive color that is supposed to glisten or sparkle a bit in the sunlight. As far as I know, it seems to be working getting the attention of the fish I had caught on the White River.

After changing out flies, I walked a bit upstream, climbing over boulders and fallen trees. Here's a question; why is it the bank on the other side of creeks or rivers always seem to be better suited to walk on? I kept looking for a spot to cross the creek so I wouldn't have to do acrobatic moves at my age, but the creek in this area was still too fast and deep to even try to cross. I figure in two weeks the creek water will lower a bit more and then I can cross.
As I waded along the steep and rocky embankment, I looked for any soft water I could find, and I hit every soft spot that I could get to. This creek holds nothing but wild brown trout in the canyon, and they are scattered abroad making fishing a sport more for those who are less patient than I, though it has challenged my knowledge and patience many times over. At any rate, I spotted a deepish hole behind a good size rock near the bank, so I cast my fly into the hole and with the glass bead on the fly it slowly sank into the slight current. It didn't take long until I had my first trout of the day. A spunky little brown with the most brilliant red colored spots came up to introduce itself to me. The red spots on this fish were absolutely amazing in the sunlight, and they were big spots too for a little guy. The photo shows no justice.

Either way, I was now doing some good with the changing of the flies. Above the rock was another hole, and I thought what would the chances be of a fish there. Chances were pretty good because I cast into the hole, and it had a bit of foam floating around in it, and I have learned while fishing the South Saint Vrain, foam is a good place to put a fly. The fly hit the mark and I let it sit there drifting around the hole that wasn't much bigger than a beach ball, and then I felt the little taps taking place. Yes, another brown, and a slightly bigger one than the first.

I kept fishing for awhile, wading upstream until I got to an area where I could no longer wade or climb the rocks, so I turned around and headed back to my truck. I drove a little ways downstream and pulled into another area. There was a couple there laying on the rocks enjoying the sun and cool breeze, so I just waved hello and walked on past. I could see many pockets downstream so I got onto the ridge and followed the creek until I found a place to get down to the water. Same fly, same plan. It was a search and conquer mission on this stretch, but I was able to land a few. Some of the fish were so small that when I lifted my rod tip they came right out of the water and into my hand or they wiggled so much they let themselves go. To me it's not that you bring them to hand that counts, but getting them to bite. And if you can get them to bite, you're on your game working the fly like you're supposed to.

I caught a few more fish and drove downstream again to the next spot that looked tempting. The more I drove down the canyon the more populated it had become with fishermen and families just enjoying the outdoors, and parking became an issue once again. I could have gone over to Boulder Creek, but that creek not only has wild browns, but it's stocked too because it's popular with fishing and the ghillie's take clients on that creek for an easy day of fishing. So I decided to stay where I was at; besides, the Vrain like I have said in the past will take you to school. It's a hard creek to figure out at times, and I can see why John Gierach likes it so much. So on I went, picking pockets and searching the seams for browns. Nothing majorly big was caught, just your average size little browns about ten inches in length.

I do have to say that I believe I am picking up a pattern here on the Vrain, in being that this time of year, going subsurface with wet flies seems to do well, but around August into Sept. dry flies kick in a bit better. It's a creek with picky and educated fish. At least educated enough to teach me a thing or two. All I know is my Gingerbread fly pattern has a special home in my fly box.

Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Liphook
Barbel

Re: A day on the Vrain

Post by Liphook »

Very nice lasgaiir ! I do enjoy your chapters from across the pond :Sun: Like many who have followed the works of JG since Trout Bum burst him on to the UK game writing scene I've read all his accounts involving the St Vrain. Strangely I've no recollection of it being described as in any way a busy river - in my mind it's been a remote and almost unknown trout stream! Maybe that's just an indication of my memory being selective? Or is it a case of the writer providing the canvas, paint and brushes and the readers imagination painting their own picture?

I hope at some point you might post a picture of your Gingerbread fly as I always take keen interest in fly patterns successful with wild fish :Hat:

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Liphook wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:41 am Very nice lasgaiir ! I do enjoy your chapters from across the pond :Sun: Like many who have followed the works of JG since Trout Bum burst him on to the UK game writing scene I've read all his accounts involving the St Vrain. Strangely I've no recollection of it being described as in any way a busy river - in my mind it's been a remote and almost unknown trout stream! Maybe that's just an indication of my memory being selective? Or is it a case of the writer providing the canvas, paint and brushes and the readers imagination painting their own picture?

I hope at some point you might post a picture of your Gingerbread fly as I always take keen interest in fly patterns successful with wild fish :Hat:

I'm sure in John's earlier days it was how he described it. It flows right along highway 7 going into the town of Lyons, but it does come from the alpine areas where it is more remote. There you will find brookies and should possibly find a few cutthroats too.

When I moved to this part of Colorado in 1981, the creek wasn't as popular. Most people fished the North Saint Vrain below the dam because fishing was easier. And still to this day people seem to prefer that creek over the South Vrain.

As time rolled by many people have moved to this area and right now ours a area that is booming averaging 1500 people moving in a month. So its only natural that more people are going to fish it.

There is an area on the Vrain that is very remote and I have only scratched its surface there. I may go check it out in a few weeks and see what's back in there. I should do it now because I'm not getting any younger.

As for my Gingerbread fly, I will post it this evening.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

A great write up Iasgair. Some beautiful little brownies there.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Thank you lasgair :Hat:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that Iasgair. So much so, it made me go off on one of my web wanders, ending up reading about the American born son of a French aristocrat that the Vrain was named after! He led an interesting frontiersman life!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Liphook wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:24 pm Thank you lasgair :Hat:
Here's the fly. I may change the hackle from partridge to grouse to see if I like it better.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Very 'nymphish' - I can certainly see the appeal lasgair so thanks for sharing :Thumb:

I've had faith in the addition of glass/plastic 'seed' beads on some smaller patterns (they needed small hooks of fine wire, round bend and crushed barb to accept the sewing beads that were then the only ones available) since I was first encouraged to add them to selected spider and buzzer patterns in 1989 by Tweed maestro Callum McRitchie. That man knew his river, entomology and wild trout angling like few (if any?) others. He was an innovator and obsesive searcher of many a haberdashery well before his time and one of very, very few men to hold a legitimately two handed (plus a few toes) tally of truly monstrous wild brown trout that were definitely not of any ferrox, esturial or sea running strain. Your Gingerbread pattern would have met his approval I'm sure :Hat:

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Liphook wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:56 am Very 'nymphish' - I can certainly see the appeal lasgair so thanks for sharing :Thumb:

I've had faith in the addition of glass/plastic 'seed' beads on some smaller patterns (they needed small hooks of fine wire, round bend and crushed barb to accept the sewing beads that were then the only ones available) since I was first encouraged to add them to selected spider and buzzer patterns in 1989 by Tweed maestro Callum McRitchie. That man knew his river, entomology and wild trout angling like few (if any?) others. He was an innovator and obsesive searcher of many a haberdashery well before his time and one of very, very few men to hold a legitimately two handed (plus a few toes) tally of truly monstrous wild brown trout that were definitely not of any ferrox, esturial or sea running strain. Your Gingerbread pattern would have met his approval I'm sure :Hat:
You humble me and honor me with your words. Thank you. :Hat:

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Duckett wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:45 pm Thoroughly enjoyed reading that Iasgair. So much so, it made me go off on one of my web wanders, ending up reading about the American born son of a French aristocrat that the Vrain was named after! He led an interesting frontiersman life!

Phil
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I should do a little web wandering myself and learn more about the Vrain Creeks, there's three of them.

Return to “General Fly Chat”