ASPINDALE AERO WIZARD 906 (10' 6")

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: ASPINDALE AERO WIZARD 906 (10' 6")

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:14 am Bob, that looks a stunning renovation job. Jeremy has done you proud mate.
I have seen many of Jeremy's restoration jobs over the years and they improve each time. This one shows how far he has come.
Very well done glasshopper.

Wal.
Thank you Master Kan :Hat:

This rod is a bit special. Despite its shortish handle it is well balanced and feels light in the hand, has quite a crisp action and must compare very favourably to the very best of its type and era.

The colour of the blank is gorgeous, the replacement tip had to be stained to match the middle and butt sections. I don't know if the colour is a result of ageing or flaming in the Aspindale factory, probably both.

The rings are originals, cleaned up and lacquered. They are made of fine wire and far nicer than modern mass produced replacements. I wish you could still buy new rings as nice as these.....

The whole cane butt section is quite slender compared to other whole cane sections I've previously come accross and coupled with the hollow built middle, the result is a light but resilient action and I assume fast striking.

Bob will no doubt enjoy using the rod for his crucian campaign this year :fish:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Bob will no doubt enjoy using the rod for his crucian campaign this year

It will be the first one out of the rack in the spring, that's for sure! :Thumb:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Every now and then you come across a rod that just has that ‘feel’ and it sounds like this is one of those. I’ve talked before about picking up Len Arbery’s early Avocet (previously Bill Quinlan’s) and similarly being blown away. My Aspindale Avon MK2 is similar! Lovely rods.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

What a cracking job!
Well worth waiting for and a lovely rod to use I bet
There really is some talent on the Forum.
Tangisgol did a renovation of a rod that I had been looking for for years, so pleased with it, absolutely superb!

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I too have an Aspindale Avon II - waiting for restoration! I also have an Aspindale Avon 11ft made prior to the II waiting.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

From a personal viewpoint I think the Avon No.2 and Bobs cane the 906 are the two most complete Asps. However in my estimation they both benefit from some extra corkage or an extension. More so if like me your a left hander and have the pin close to the collar.
A superb pair for sure.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have 14 Aspindales of various lengths and strengths including an Aero Wizard! Mostly ledger/avon/carp as I find most cane rods for trotting too heavy for my rheumatic hand/arm - most, but not all are good to excellent!

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”