ASPINDALE AERO WIZARD 906 (10' 6")

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Bob Brookes
Zander

ASPINDALE AERO WIZARD 906 (10' 6")

Post by Bob Brookes »

It must be 12 months since I became aware of this rod being for sale up in the northeast, but was collection only. I notified Wal, but he was thinning out his 'forest', so he passed on it. It was not well described and was being advertised in an obscure place, so never got sold. It has remained on the site ever since and the asking price came down to a point when I contacted the lady seller, making an offer including delivery which was accepted.

It arrived yesterday and I am pleased with it. It is very original with the thin wire rings, clearly not mucked about with. However, the tip is cane coloured glass fibre and is a very old replacement from the 50's, in my opinion. The balance and the action seem fine and I quite like it as it is. The tip is clearly a part of the rod's history and I feel it should be retained, but do I attempt to acquire a cane one? Decisions, decisions!

I am old enough to remember the first retailed rods that had glass fibre tips, and also the lads who bought replacements after a breakage, in the first half of the 50's. Quite frankly many were heavy and were blue or green and quite frankly were rubbish. This one doesn't fall into that category. I shall see Wal next month and ask him what he suggests.
ImageImageImageImageImage
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: ASPINDALE AERO WIZARD 906 (10' 6")

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think it needs a cane tip to do it justice Bob. Interesting rod as all Aspindales are.
Remind me to bring my Avondale to compare it with.

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

That does look nice ... and I'll be fascinated to hear the comparison with Wal's Avondale.

The only Aspindale's "Aero Wizard" I've seen before was a No 903, an 11ft with whole cane butt and split cane centre and tip ... sold for £55 at Mullock's in 2014.

https://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot- ... izard.html
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I am sure you are right Wal I guess that is the way to go. I think that many of the Aero rods of this length made by Aspindale are very, very, similar. Probably an early case of badge engineering!
Looking forward to our special week, without wishing this summer away.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

AshbyCut wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:22 pm That does look nice ... and I'll be fascinated to hear the comparison with Wal's Avondale.

The only Aspindale's "Aero Wizard" I've seen before was a No 903, an 11ft with whole cane butt and split cane centre and tip ... sold for £55 at Mullock's in 2014.

https://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot- ... izard.html
:Hat: I spotted that too Mal when doing a little Google search following my acquisition. The fact that there wasn't a tff thread for that model probably indicates that it is a rare. (or not very good). I think it feels rather good, even with the glass tip, although that would detract from it's appeal/value by the aficionados.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

There wont be much hollowing in the tip section Bob, if any so a replacement shouldn't be too hard to find.

Wal.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Bob, I picked up one of these about a month ago, I remember my friend crucian wax lyrical how good these were, the butt is so slim, and it is light in the hand.

Ive not used it yet, but I will see how it is with the autumn Roach, chub & perch👍

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Paul F wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:34 pm Bob, I picked up one of these about a month ago, I remember my friend crucian wax lyrical how good these were, the butt is so slim, and it is light in the hand.

Ive not used it yet, but I will see how it is with the autumn Roach, chub & perch👍
Nice one Paul, thanks for that.👍

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I am with the majority and, whilst it won’t be cheap, a replacement cane tip from a good rod builder would leave you with a fabulous rod!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Tengisgol wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:44 pm I am with the majority and, whilst it won’t be cheap, a replacement cane tip from a good rod builder would leave you with a fabulous rod!
That seems to be the general consensus of all those I respect Phil, so probably will be the path I shall follow.

A great day on Saturday, really enjoyed it.🎣😉

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”