Schematic for Shakespeare 2660 closed face reel

The ABU Reels forum.
Jeremy.Airey
Minnow

Schematic for Shakespeare 2660 closed face reel

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Hello Chaps

Been fourteen months since my last post, where does time go ?
I'm presently fettling a 1970/80s vintage Shakespeare 2660 closed face 'match' reel .The brown jobby they put out as competition to the ABU 506.
What i have great need of is a schematic or parts list diagram which I presume would have been in or on the original box, my box box is 45 years or so long gone.
I have tried all the usual and not so usual reel schematic sites , all sorts of googling and have trolled through hundreds of pics. In the hope someone might have posted a pic. of the box if it was on that.
I even rang Shakespeare customer sevices who gave me the number of there reel service peeps who were very friendly but unable to help.
I know it wasn't the best of reels but I am kind of fond of it and it deserves a little l tlc after years of being ignored. BTW you can blame the l late Barrie Rickards for this as I originaly used this after reading the Ultralight spinning chapter in his Spinners, Spoons and Wobbled Baits book, I even did the flyrod ul rod thingy with a #3 fibatube (I know it was glass sorry) but ow I have a lovely Allocks light spinner.

Excuse the rambling and can anybody help ?
Many regards
Jeremy Airey

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Schematic for Shakespeare 2660 closed face reel

Post by Liphook »

I can only think of someone like Russ at Blakdog Tackle or Quentin Milman Reel Servicing perhaps having a lead for you? Surprised that the American websites don't offer something up? Quite a few Shakespeare collectors about. I'll have search on my lists of reel part suppliers. I too have that book and also made up a UL spin rod from a 7' fibatube fly rod blank - I wish now I'd kept it as a fly rod!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

The Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA) have schematics for the 2660 and 2660ll. You may have to sign up to view. I googled 'shakespeare 2660 reel schematic' and it was about the eleventh result :Hat:

Jeremy.Airey
Minnow

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Hi Liphook

I emailed ORCA and asked if they would do me a one-off as I really don’t want to pay £30 or so to join, that would be more than the reel cost back in the day. Those blanks - UGH- way to soft to use as spinning rods but did make cute fly rods but enough about plastic sticks .

Thanks for the help
Jeremy

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

No schematic unfortunately but I thought you might enjoy this from the 1978 Shakespeare (UK) catalogue :

Click to enlarge.

Jeremy.Airey
Minnow

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Thanks Stingray
Amost as good as a schematic.
Clive Smith and Kenny Giles that brought bck a few memories from the "chrysodine" and "anatto" stained maggot days .
do you chaps the wondermatch rod with its "innovative" ringinging pattern going from (i Think) 20mm butt straight to !2mm(?) intermediates with no tapering of ring sizes - quite the innovation at the time ?
Again thanks and regards
Jeremy

Return to “ABU Reels”